Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

38,000+ hours?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
21 of 49

Heh... actually, I wrote something that was a bit disparaging about the U.S. government, something along the lines of offering to trade you your government for ours if you think yours is so bad. But I realized that was probably off topic and also might annoy those in charge of ensuring community guidelines, so I just left you an innocuous message. Was not actually trying to tell you to stop talking about where you live...

menikhildesai
Community Guru
Nikhil D Member Since: May 28, 2015
22 of 49

Hahahahaha....Oh c'mon Preston!! This satirical humor is what makes this forum a 'hip' place to be...and also helps us to forget/ overlook Upwork bugs Smiley Frustrated

ragnarock82
Elvis M Member Since: Aug 15, 2013
23 of 49

I worked in a call center as well before starting on Odesk Smiley Happy Same payment (almost) 3 USD / hour + comission. Dont be afraid to increase your rate, my went from 8 USD / hour when I started, to 10, than 15, than 25, now I charge 50 USD / hour for inbound marketing services, and there is work and clients who want the quality you provide for the price.

fitzberg
Ace Contributor
Caroline A Member Since: Dec 26, 2014
24 of 49

I dont think the account is just used by 1 guy...
There is no human can do that for 7 years, even idols/actors get to get their time off

Or maybe its an agency using a single freelancer account 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
25 of 49

re: "Or maybe its an agency using a single freelancer account"

If you worked 12 hours per day (!) every day of the year, that would be 4380 hours per year.

If you worked consistently at that rate, it would take 8.7 years to work 38,000 hours.

That's a LOT of work, consistently done, for an extended period of time.

Caroline's explanation is more believable to me... Another explanation is that it is simply another Upwork glitch.

For all I know, this could be an Elancer who earned $38,000 in one year, and Upwork's migration script decided to use his past year earnings for his total number of hours. Doubtful, but who knows after all the difficulties we've seen in Elance-Upwork migration.

Even if I find this hard to believe, I wouldn't actually want to do report it or do anything about it.

jesica-lozande
Jesica L Member Since: Apr 9, 2012
26 of 49

I really wonder if working a longer hours is against Upwork TOS. because as i can see most of freelancer here in forum always react and complaine when  they see a another freelancer profile who have a longer hours work.

since  most of you are always complaining, why don't you all request to Upwork management to limit the number of hours work  in a day since most of you always act as higher ups.

If we are have a longer hours work, this is because the client is the one who requested to work on it because of the nature of work. . they put unlimited time.  also why questioning others freelance profile  even if they satisfied their client with good feeback and  high JS.

Also. just because you have a few thousand hours, you are good and we the one who have more thousand hours are not good.  i see  a lot of freelancer have a few hundred hours  but poor performance.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
27 of 49

Jesica,

You make some good points. Thank you for providing your perspective. What you said makes a lot of sense, about there being clients who request lots of hours, and it makes sense to point out that there are types of work that lead to accumulation of large numbers of hours.

Don't read too much into this thread. I don't think community forum members here want to change the rules, limit hours, or make official complaints about contractors with large numbers of hours.

We're just wondering, that's all...

jesica-lozande
28 of 49

Preston

there is a freelancer yesterday that he report the freelancer because of the number of hours. and he even call this freelancer as sandbagger because of 18000 hours work. 

and i wondering too, why this kind of hours is a big issue to other freelancer. 

laherz
Community Leader
Michael Z Member Since: Jul 19, 2015
29 of 49

Jessica, since others haven't explained in this thread. And you haven't taken the subtle hints. I'll explain to you.

A normal person sleeps maybe 6 hours a day, I'll keep that amount low. Obviously this hugely varies per person. This leaves you with 18 hours a day of "awake" time. Now I'm not sure how you spend your day, but I certainly don't spend 18 hours of it working. Now let's assume a normal person spend 2 hours a day eating, shower brushing teeth and whatever else. This leaves you with 16 hours a day average of working.  According to some of those profiles, those people would (on average) have to be working nonstop without breaks. And they would have to do so all year. I'm not sure how realistic that kind of dedication sounds to you. But to me it sounds abnormal. 
And maybe this guy is just very dedicated and likes working so much, up to the point where it's all he does.  It doesn't bother me a single bit, no one here is "bothered" to put it like that. If he can live his life like that, than that's fine.  But if something else is going on, we'd like to know. 

You can see it as being curious. 

jesica-lozande
30 of 49

Well is this is a Big issue? 

i think we need to mind our own business,  as you can see even we work a longer hour we still satisfied the clients, 

and i'm pretty sure in my 35k $ earning a year, only  200$ has been refund and no client hours has been dispute. and the manual time is not take more than 10 hours out of 17200 hours. 

while i see the others, they say they work only  a little but still did not satisfied the clients with poor JS. 

always keep saying that those hours are doesnt matter ' but i would like to remind 

every freelancer have different job

every client  set a different time for each freelancer

and every clients sets a different standard.

every freelancer have a different social life. (you go party  while the other freelancer are busy to their work)

every frree lancer have different life, don't compare the timeline for each other. 

every freelancer have different ability, skills and needs.

and just because you can only work 8 -12 hours a day, you wanted  the other freelancer work on that too.

PS.  Some of clients are very happy when freelancer work for longer hours, they appreciate the honest hardwork.

While the some fellow freelancer keep getting un happy because their fellow frelancer found a Good and happy client.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS