cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D rendering artists we must unite and stop this madness!

ri3dviz
Ace Contributor
Robert I Member Since: Mar 27, 2016
1 of 25

I wrote this to Upwork, discuss. Let's get this implemented for all of us freelancers to be treated fair!

Hello,

Many clients do not provide plans and drawings to properly bid on 3D rendering work. We need to know the scope of the project but they refuse to provide it and make freelancers bid blind! It is the same as if you went to the doctor and said I need an operation and I'll tell you what kind after you quote me a price! Can you please implement a system where the client needs to provide plans, drawings and scope to be allowed to post a job!

I have been looked over many times for asking a potential client to provide this information and it's not fair.

Thanks!

andrie81
Ace Contributor
Alif Andriyanto A Member Since: Jun 11, 2016
2 of 25

For the 'blindfolded' job post, I'm still figuring out the best way to convince my client to change it to an hourly project.

That way, the client can throe anything they got as long I'm being paid doing it. Fixed price projects can be a massive quicksand sometimes. gulp..

Maybe others can share their strategy?

Grammar nazis - Cakap Melayu la kalau terer sangat. Takat bahasa Inggeris boleh la nak eksyen.
ri3dviz
Ace Contributor
3 of 25

The problem is even though in the TOS if you request the client give you the info you need they just move on to a freelancer that bids blind. The client holds all the cards, and frankly there is no impetus for Upwork to enforce the rules as they clearly side with clients not freelancers.

andrie81
Ace Contributor
4 of 25

Based on my 'great' experienced bidding blind and made assumption it will be an easy one -  getting hired for that project (yeay?):

It's better off to let somebody handle the consequences of bidding blind. Personally, I'm not taking that kind of risk anymore.

It's better to have a client that have their time setting up their project posts than having aclinet that seems to have no time at all. From what I can see, their only concern is getting it done NOW. They don't care bout your difficulties.

I don't know how Upwork looks like from a client side of the screen. I do agree on implementing a better UI/UIX guide for client to post their projects.

Grammar nazis - Cakap Melayu la kalau terer sangat. Takat bahasa Inggeris boleh la nak eksyen.
mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 25

Across the board, we all have to contend with vague job descriptions that leave us clueless. It would not be fair to give this advantage to one category.

ri3dviz
Ace Contributor
6 of 25

Then it should be site wide! We need to unite and stand up for the freelancer because Upwork is clearly on the side of the client.

I'm sure Upwork could implement a scope of service drop down menu for clients to fill out when posting a job to make sure clients give enough information to bid on a job if they wanted to.

andrie81
Ace Contributor
7 of 25

Cons:

Risk loosing a genuine potential client that really don't have a clue on posting their 1st job? All caused by they are forced to fill all the textbox?

ri3dviz
Ace Contributor
8 of 25

Why is that our problem? If someone wants to use the site to find "cheap labor" which is why most use the site then they need to do their part.

andrie81
Ace Contributor
9 of 25

Nope, not our problem.

I'm sure it will caused a problem to the middleman who will gain something no matter how bad the client is as long they are paying. lol

Community Leader
Richard H Member Since: Aug 22, 2015
10 of 25

Robert,

Vague descriptions are an irritant but not a deal breaker.

It's actually pretty simple.......

In your proposal (after your spiel about how great they are and how great you are)

simply state your bid is based on what you think they want.

Tell them you'd like to discuss their project more and your bid could adjust appropriately (up or down).

Before you accept any job offer.....

In a very professional and nice way,  state exactly what you will do and for how much and how long it will take.

If you don't take charge of your business, they will.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS