cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D rendering artists we must unite and stop this madness!

ri3dviz
Ace Contributor
Robert I Member Since: Mar 27, 2016
11 of 25

Richard,

That doesn't work in my field. There are an average of 50 bids per job posting and the client has ample freelancers to choose from that have similar quality, certainly quality good enough for their project. So, they go with the low, desperate bidder.

In the Architectural field of 3D rendering a project could be a 1500 square foot house or a 50,000 square foot shopping mall and range from Baroque to ultra modern in design. There is no way to put a number on the unknown. As one could spend 20 hours or 120 hours.

Community Leader
Richard H Member Since: Aug 22, 2015
12 of 25

Robert,

I'm in your field. I do architectural models, renderings and animations.

Although my advice sounded a bit blunt and harsh, I word my proposals in a much nicer way so as not to come across in a negative way.

I always make sure the clients send me plans, sketches etc Before I accept the job so that I know what I'm getting into.  

Bait / switch and scope creep are abundant in our line of work. You are the only one who can control it in your favor.

ri3dviz
Ace Contributor
13 of 25

You must not get many jobs here then. Unfortunately I depend on this site for a lot of my income at the moment, I would say I average 1 job a month here lately - not enough. I'm looking to get out of the field all together asap, so in reality I'm just trying to help those that are in to stay.

Community Leader
Richard H Member Since: Aug 22, 2015
14 of 25

Robert,

You're free to look at my profile and judge for yourself.

We have a lot of competition here on Upwork, but I've acquired jobs well over clients budgets while others have been low-balling the bids. It takes perseverance and good proposals to get the jobs that will pay you want you want to make.

I do not depend on this site alone to get work. 

The jobs I do get here are ones, that I made sure the expectations were clear. That way, I'm happy doing the work and the client is happy with the results.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
15 of 25

You don't have to "bid blind"--just write in the number they've posted and then explain in the proposal that they haven't provided enough information for you to give them an accurate bid, and list what you need to know in order to give them a real price.

ri3dviz
Ace Contributor
16 of 25

Go back and read what I said, it explains why that doesn't work

bennett-kathrin
Ace Contributor
Kathrin B Member Since: Jul 20, 2012
17 of 25

@Robert I wrote:

Didn't Richard say that it works for him?

It certainly works for me. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
18 of 25

@Robert I wrote:

Hm.

Yet, Richard says it works for him, his posted hourly rate is more than four times yours, and he has numerous jobs posted (hourly jobs, so he's not getting locked in to a fixed rate price for something that may grow in scope).

Seems like maybe rather than telling him he's wrong, you might want to ask him some questions and find out why he's able to successfully execute what you can't and make 4x your hourly rate. 

ri3dviz
Ace Contributor
19 of 25

Tiffany,

I've been in the Architecture field 40 years and on Elance/Upwork for years. I lowered my "posted" hourly rate because I wasn't getting considered. I have done evrything Richard has said and then some, it doesn't work for "me". 

This isn't about me or Richard this is about clients not following the terms of service. That should be a concern to everyone as the clients have the advantage in all aspects.

When you ask a client to provide the information you need 9 out of 10 times they walk! This is a problem.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
20 of 25

Upwork is not an architectural modelling website.

It is not going to create distinctive user interface elements just for one narrow job niche.

Practitioners of every job niche could theoretically think of ways that the client-side interface for submitting job proposals could be "improved" to provide more information. But this is not going to happen.

As a freelancer, all of us can estabish our own set of questions that we ask clients, if they don't already provide the information that we need.

I have never seen job postings in the same way that the original poster seems to view them. Job postings are ways to introduce capable freelancers with clients who want to hire somebody to help them. Job postings are not contracts.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS