cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D rendering artists we must unite and stop this madness!

Community Leader
Richard H Member Since: Aug 22, 2015
21 of 25

Robert,

You and I are about the same age and have similar backgrounds.

Lowering your posted hourly rate doesn't benefit you at all. For fixed price jobs it isn't even a factor. You're free to charge any rate you want on every job you want when you submit a bid.  A low hourly rate sends a message to the client how YOU rate yourself.  

Even though I had 30 years of experience before coming to Upwork, it didn't matter to clients here. They wanted freelancers  who have proven Upwork experience so they could see positive feedback and have some trust in the freelancer.  It took a month before I got my first job here. I made the same mistake as others by lowering my rate for an hourly job.  I've raised it several times to get it up where it should be and still it's below my B&M rate because I have to compete with the rest of the world.  With each job here I learn from previous mistakes, how to work with Upwork clients and how to get more work. It's not easy.  In our niche, clients prefer to work with contractors who have worked on jobs identical to their job. Flood your portfolio with  a wide variety of samples. Send samples with each proposal. Explain your process and work flow. Send progress images frequently and keep the client involved so that you and your client are a "team".

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
22 of 25

Robert, how do you know the questions are the reason that the client is choosing someone else and bypassing you? Are they sending you messages saying you've asked too many questions and they're going with someone who didn't?

You can't see the other bidders' proposals to know whether or not they asked questions. You don't know how much back and forth took place before hire.

I'm not arguing with you for the sake of argument. I strongly suspect that you are cutting your own throat by fixating on this one issue rather than assessing what else you might be doing wrong. I'm sure you'll say you've done that, but you've made it clear that you make a lot of unwarranted assumptions. That's definitely an obstacle to identifying the real problem and solving it.

ri3dviz
Ace Contributor
Robert I Member Since: Mar 27, 2016
23 of 25

You know it's pretty simple. I ask for clairification, drawings, what ever is needed and they do not respond and hire someone else. This happens even with clients that have contacted me either through invite or other means. That is a violation of the terms of service period!

All of you are defending a practice that is not acceptable and that's why it won't change. Frankly, it doesn't matter that much to me and the reason I posted here to begin with is I wrote to Upwork directly and they said to post it here. Nothing good happens unless you make it happen.

As for unwarnted assumptions Tiffany, you're projecting.

Community Leader
Richard H Member Since: Aug 22, 2015
24 of 25

Robert,

This is the first I've heard you say clients were asking for work outside of Upwork. That is definitely against Upwork TOS and should be reported.

It is not unusual for clients to ask questions in the "interview" message and then never respond again. It happens to everyone (me included) and only the client knows why they do that. But that is not a violation of TOS.

I had a prospective client yesterday who invited me to interview, Said how much they loved my work and asked a couple of questions. I responded within 20 minutes. A minute later she wrote back apologizing and said she just hired someone else and would keep me in mind. Most clients aren't that courteous because they're flooded with applicants and don't take the time to write back everyone invited.

As disappointing as it was, I put it behind me and kept looking over my job feed for other jobs.

You'll drive yourself crazy trying to guess at what the client is thinking and why they do the things they do.

A lot of people are much more courteous face to face as opposed to this "online" workplace.

It's not against TOS to be "unthoughtful" or "ignorant".  If it were, there would only be a handful of us left.

ri3dviz
Ace Contributor
Robert I Member Since: Mar 27, 2016
25 of 25

I can't find the document but I remember reading it. The client is obligated to give a clear definition of the scope of service to be provided, they don't do that. I don't know what else I can say other than it's a problem and as my analogy stated, you can't go to a doctor and ask for an operation then tell him it's heart surgery after he bids on hang nail surgery or an unknown surgery.

Anyhow, I've had enough of this conversation. 

Have a good day everyone.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS