Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4.3 star feedback - should I refund?

subtlygold
Ace Contributor
Alya U Member Since: Jun 11, 2017
1 of 9

Hi,

I recently got a 4.3 star feedback from a client and I'm not sure if I should refund it or let it be. The project in question involved a secondary skill - graphic designing. My main skill is writing/blogging/research but I also do graphic designing and video editing. This was my first job on UpWork in the graphic designing skill and although my client left a lovely message with the feedback, she gave me 4.3 stars.

I want to mention here that the project required 12 hours turn around time and since I was 12 hours ahead (timezone) from my client, I had to stay up at night till 4 am to get the job done. Yet the client still left a 4.0 on 'Deadline' as well as a 4.0 on 'Availability'. A 4.0 on Skill and Quality, I can understand, but the other two categories really brought the overall rating down.

I'm worried if this will reflect poorly on my profile and make it difficult for me to get hired for jobs in the future (in both graphic designing and writing skills).

This was the second feedback I've ever had (I do have 6 other jobs but they're all still under contract). Do you think I should refund the $15 or should I keep it because it isn't too bad? 

Thanks! 

reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
2 of 9

@Alya U wrote:

Hi,

I recently got a 4.3 star feedback from a client and I'm not sure if I should refund it or let it be. The project in question involved a secondary skill - graphic designing. My main skill is writing/blogging/research but I also do graphic designing and video editing. This was my first job on UpWork in the graphic designing skill and although my client left a lovely message with the feedback, she gave me 4.3 stars.

I want to mention here that the project required 12 hours turn around time and since I was 12 hours ahead (timezone) from my client, I had to stay up at night till 4 am to get the job done. Yet the client still left a 4.0 on 'Deadline' as well as a 4.0 on 'Availability'. A 4.0 on Skill and Quality, I can understand, but the other two categories really brought the overall rating down.

I'm worried if this will reflect poorly on my profile and make it difficult for me to get hired for jobs in the future (in both graphic designing and writing skills).

This was the second feedback I've ever had (I do have 6 other jobs but they're all still under contract). Do you think I should refund the $15 or should I keep it because it isn't too bad? 

Thanks! 

The problem with this is that if the client also left a less than stellar private feedback, which is almost certain, it makes no difference whether you refund or not. Your JSS will have taken a hit when you get it, so if I were you, I'd just keep the money and move on.

More precisely though, I'd keep moving on jobs in my core area of expertise, and leave everything else to those who are properly qualified for those kinds of jobs. 

subtlygold
Ace Contributor
3 of 9

Thank you for the prompt reply, Reinier. 

Yes, you're absolutely right. I should focus on my core skill. I'll keep that in mind. Thank you!

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 9

Don't refund, it's lovely feedback!

reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
5 of 9

@Alya U wrote:

Hi,

Thanks! 

zoomconcepts
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
6 of 9

I wouldn't. The comment is lovely and 4, regardless of how Upwork's practices have made it look, actually has a pretty positive label attached to it.  (Don't remember the exact structure but I think 5 was Excellent and 4 was Great? Something like that). 

Of course I'm saying that with a lot more closed jobs under my belt - you have two so it's possible it'll have more impact on your JSS when you get one. But even with that in mind - if you're going to refund everything that's not a 5, you're setting yourself up for quite the money loss. Not to mention that I think it's bad form and a way to misrepresent your profile, however slight the distortion is. 

subtlygold
Ace Contributor
7 of 9

Thank you, Petra and Bojana! I guess nothing can be done now about the impact it will have on my JSS, butsince the comment itself was good, I'll keep it. Thanks for the advice 🙂

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
8 of 9

Yes, it's unfortunate that Upwork doesn't define these ratings better so clients can apply them more uniformly.

Some clients apparently think that a 3 rating is "average" - a logical assumption - so a 4 is "above average" and a 5 is a "stellar/perfect" rating. And, really, how many Upwork projects lend themselves to a "stellar/perfect" rating?

However, the way these rating are actually used and understood means every freelancer feels only a 5 rating means they've been truly successful on a project.

It's not a great rating system.

dev_alvi
Ace Contributor
Md. Mostafizur R Member Since: Mar 18, 2016
9 of 9

Salam and greetings of Ramadan!

Hey, You got the pretty nice feedback comment and above 4 score is definitely good. Don't be worry about that.
Keep continue doing your great job! Smiley Happy

Wish you all the best.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS