Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5$ contract

lascap_01
Community Guru
Pascal S Member Since: Mar 23, 2016
1 of 21

hello community

I still see some 5$ contract, isnt it supposed to be 50$ minimum?

Thanx

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 21

Hi Pascal,

No, $50 is not the minimum rate.

Untitled
mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
3 of 21

For a company so concerned about the expense of managing "little jobs", it's surprising they don't set a minimum other than a laughable $5 - I've just never been able to figure that out, since one of the reasons for the fee increase was because little jobs were costing you money. How is $5 worth Upwork's time?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 21

Hi Virginia,

A number of $5 jobs turn into long-term relationships where clients either add milestones to existing contracts or re-hire the freelancer for additional contracts. Freelancers and clients always have the opportunity to negotiate the terms that suit them better and foster productive relationships.

~ Valeria
Upwork
mtngigi
Community Guru
5 of 21

I love a good pipe dream Valeria ... I look at cheap client's list of former jobs and what they paid - it's usually an endless list of more cheap low-paying jobs. That a $5 minimum is even in Upwork's lexicon is just an embarrassment.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
6 of 21

You guys need to remember that Upwork stubbornly refuses to make the budget field optional, so clients who have no idea about the cost of a project are forced to put something into it.

What I do is that I put $5 and then I explain in the job posting that this is just a placeholder. Of course, in this case, you still see people who bid $5...

If you try to guesstimate a price, most of the providers will bid your guestimated price. This is why I would like to see this frickin' field optional.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
mtngigi
Community Guru
7 of 21

Thank you Rene ... unless we post a job, us "guys" are, I admit, clueless. But I also question why someone thinks a $5 placeholder is going to attract professional attention or that anyone is going to read the RFP further?  All it says to me is "cheap client".

Bottom line ... just make the minimum a decent $25 and let the client and freelancer battle out the budget details. Or, as you suggest, make that field optional.

I'm going to add something here - I put myself back on notification (at Vlad's suggestion that improvements had been made*), so I'm getting lots of invites and job recommendations - about 80% of them are $10 or less, and there is absolutely nothing in the body of the RFPs that indicates the client is using $10 as a "placeholder". They're looking for someone to do $300 worth of work, for $10 or less ... period. They're looking for "rock stars" for $5.

The invites I love, because it gives me an opportunity to tell the client to get real (in nice words of course). The recommendations, well, I spend my time hitting delete, delete, delete, delete. I'd post screen shots, but they'll just be taken down. 

*I'm still getting nonsensical recommendations, as I did yesterday,  for a Stock Market Analyst. This client's job list: $10 (for 3 logos), $10, $10, oh ... and one for $2.01 fixed price With the exception of one job (I stopped looking after 20 jobs), they all paid $10 and under, many of them $5 and under. You think this client is building long-term good-paying relationships with a freelancer? Okay.

sam-sly
Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
8 of 21

@Rene K wrote:

You guys need to remember that Upwork stubbornly refuses to make the budget field optional, so clients who have no idea about the cost of a project are forced to put something into it.

What I do is that I put $5 and then I explain in the job posting that this is just a placeholder. Of course, in this case, you still see people who bid $5...

If you try to guesstimate a price, most of the providers will bid your guestimated price. This is why I would like to see this frickin' field optional.

I didn't realize, I just ignore jobs with a $5 budget and immediately decline when they send invitations.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 21

Hi Rene,

As you may know we did a test earlier this year in which some clients had the option of entering a budget range for fixed-price job posts. We saw that these projects weren't leading to as many hires and rolled it back.

We will continue evaluating other options to improve this area (budget entry for fixed-price job posts) and let the Community know about any changes.
~ Valeria
Upwork
kfarnell
Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
10 of 21

> As you may know we did a test earlier this year in which some clients had the option of entering a budget range for fixed-price job posts.

A budget range isn't the same as not setting a budget. By it's nature it gives a budget. Therefore, I'm not sure how relevant that is to people who'd like the option of 'not sure', 'undecided' or 'you tell me'.

I've seen several projects at $5 that come into that category - as do those that post a budget of $12,345.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS