Did you mean: 

Re: 5$ contract

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
11 of 21

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Rene,

As you may know we did a test earlier this year in which some clients had the option of entering a budget range for fixed-price job posts.

Yes you did, but this is not the same thing. I would love to see a test with this field being optional. After the test, we could evaluate the pertinence of this change.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
12 of 21

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Rene,

As you may know we did a test earlier this year in which some clients had the option of entering a budget range for fixed-price job posts. We saw that these projects weren't leading to as many hires and rolled it back.

We will continue evaluating other options to improve this area (budget entry for fixed-price job posts) and let the Community know about any changes.

Oh man that really sucks. I thought it was a great addition. I hired a designer once for a small 2 page app. Had no idea what a good budget was so put $250. What was interesting and made me rethink my rates was that some guy came in at $550 and blew me away. Hands down he was the best one in the bunch. I had a #2 on my list that bid my budget but #1 expensive guy blew me away so I went with him. I really had no clue what was reasonable. 

This widget could not be displayed.
13 of 21

There are numerous low-paid jobs on Upwork that will never turn into attractive payment. If somebody writes two articles for 250 USD each = 500 USD UW can earn something. However, if 100 freelancers write 5-USD-articles this causes hugh losses for Upwork. Service fee invoices cover 1 USD and VAT reporting as far as EU freelancers are involved and cause additional costs for booking and processing. If somebody would sell something for 5 USD that caused costs of perhaps 7 USD this could not be regarded as a business.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 21

I would accept a $5 contract for a small task.

15 of 21

@Preston H wrote:

I would accept a $5 contract for a small task.

OK, I need a well researched article (500 words), 100% original and unique. There could be much more work for you in the future... 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
16 of 21

I wouldn't put down my cheeseburger for less than $50.

vdubeau
Community Guru
Vince D Member Since: Feb 18, 2016
17 of 21

I guess it all depends on your field. If I see someone with a budget of $5 for Filemaker work I assume that it is a placeholder and bid according to the specs. If they truly think that they can get quality work for $5, I'll wait until they come back looking for someone to fix it and charge an "I told you so rate". Smiley Happy

"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
Buckaroo Banzai
kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
18 of 21

Lets all remember, that we're talking about a client's BUDGET. $5 IS the minimum a client can put, but that is not the minimum that a contractor can bid. There is, to my knowledge, NO minimum fixed rate that a contractor can bid.

ravi_iitian
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
19 of 21

Even the $5 placeholder can be deceptive. Here’s an example:

Est. Budget: $5 

- Edit a document in English - Rewriting is required - Total Word Count of a document is less than 100 words - The content is non-technical - Deadline is within 5 hours after you are hired. - The job instruction in detail will be notified during the interview - The budget of each project is USD 1.

"Certa bonum certamen"
mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
20 of 21

Or, in other words ... 0.2¢ per hour (minus the fees, of course). 5 hours for $1 minus 20% = 4/10th of a cent. Is that right? I'm so bad at math.

Edited to add a smiley face because we have to laugh   Smiley Very Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS