Did you mean: 

5 star account suspended without explanation

un04
Artyom P Member Since: Nov 18, 2014
1 of 36

Hello!

Here's link to my account:

https://www.odesk.com/users/~01b2bb169d7d9f1587

As you can see, it has 5 star feedback with pretty good comments from one of oDesk silver partners, some passed tests and over 500 hours of logged work, but I was suspended more than month ago. In e-mail I was notified that this was made to improve the quality of oDesk community, but this does not make any sense because I have only the best marks.

During a month I was trying to figure out what happened, but trust & safety team answered me like I don't even have a right to bother them. Lately they just close the tickets without any answer. Please look at attached screenshots.

I would like to ask the community what should I do in this case. I am completely discouraged by this situation and will appreciate any help...

sivavranagaro
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
2 of 36

Um, it's weird... 

Do you have any idea what might be the cause? Have you been paid outside oDesk?

Did you use some other software for tracking hours? Anything? 

Artyom P Member Since: Nov 18, 2014
3 of 36

No. My client paid quite big amount of money to his freelancers via oDesk and he had warned me from the very start that payments will be made via oDesk only and I know what's allowed by oDesk policies. No cheating with tracking software, the work was made as expected and the client was satisfied.

I don't know if the fact that I'm from Ukraine (not from Crimea) matters though.

canteloube
Susan Seawolf H Member Since: Oct 2, 2013
4 of 36

Artyom, I'm so sorry this has happened and especially sorry that oDesk doesn't provide a satisfactory reason to you.

I know that they have explained that 5-star feedback is only one of the bits of information that feeds the algorithm that ultimately makes a lot of decisions on oDesk - other factors include: (1) accepting a contract, then closing it out without any money changing hands; (2) receiving money but then closing out the contract and returning all of the money; (3) a certain number of jobs with either no feedback at all; (4) enough jobs (even with good feedback) where client leaves no comment.  These things apparently are red flags to oDesk, and tjey generally blame the freelancer, as I've had it explained to me.

canteloube
Susan Seawolf H Member Since: Oct 2, 2013
5 of 36

Oh, and I can't imagine that it has one thing to do with your being from the Ukraine - I don't think you need to worry about that sort of discrimination on oDesk.

957c0c26
Ace Contributor
N T Member Since: Jul 18, 2015
6 of 36

@Susan Seawolf H wrote:

other factors include: (1) accepting a contract, then closing it out without any money changing hands; (2) receiving money but then closing out the contract and returning all of the money; (3) a certain number of jobs with either no feedback at all; (4) enough jobs (even with good feedback) where client leaves no comment.  These things apparently are red flags to oDesk, and tjey generally blame the freelancer, as I've had it explained to me.

I'm curious about #1 here. My account is suspended, and I did have an instance where a freelancer never accepted a job offer and I was refunded the money in escrow. Perhaps that triggered my suspension? I have several freelancers who have yet to complete their first milestone (but to be fair,  I did not set any deadlines). Could that be a factor?

I initially thought my suspension may have been related to the fact that I have a lot of freelancers working on the same job. I didn't think this was a problem, though, when I posted the job, especially when I got some help from customer service and told them my intention to hire multiple freelancers. Upwork certainly makes it easy to hire multiple freelancers for the same job, so why should it raise any concerns when people do? 

I'm still confused by it all. You'd think they'd let me quickly verify my bank card and leave it at that. Never before had this hard a time giving a company my money.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 36

Hi Nohemi,

I understand that this account suspension has caused you frustration. I have followed up with the team, they are reviewing your account and will update you through the ticket as soon as possible.

I can also confirm that hiring multiple freelancers for the same job is alright and would not be the reason for suspension.

We appreciate your patience.

~ Valeria
Upwork
iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
8 of 36

This is completely baffling - your profile looks perfect.

I'm so sorry this has happened to you! I guess now I'm just waiting to get the dreaded notification that my account has been suspended or closed.

setumonroe
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
9 of 36

This is strange.... to say the least. A private company always has the right to enforce their will, but usually a reason is given. I can see no reason why your account would be suspended, especially since the message alludes to poor performance, which definately is not the truth in your case. They have purposely not said why the accout was suspended.

This should be taken seriously, because until or unless further information is revealed, any account could be next in line.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
10 of 36

Setu, I'm *guessing* the first email is a form letter, which would explain why no reason was given, although one would think oDesk could customize the form letter to state the reason for a suspension. The other 2 responses, from 'Abbie' and 'Abby Tyo', which *could* be one individual or two, appear to be hand-written, so it's hard to understand why a reason was not stated, unless it's oDesk policy not to state a reason for a 'final decision'.