cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 stars.

Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
1 of 16

My 5 star rating has finally gone. Having argued (and refunded) a previous client for unfair feedback, I decided to simply accept it. The problem is, it's completely subjective; some jobs I made mistakes in, yet get perfect feedback, now I get it for one of the best jobs I've done.

The constant need for positive feedback really feels oppressive; some clients are never satisfied, and some don't understand the system. It is impossible to please everyone all the time, yet only a few ratings below 5 can destroy your career. Nobody with a normal job pleases every client 100% of the time, yet we are judged by feedback that is often unfair: I'm certainly not going cap in hand to ask anyone to change it though, but clients need to be aware that even the slightest criticism can mean later difficulties in finding work.

Community Guru
Md Rahatur R Member Since: Apr 17, 2013
2 of 16

3 stars was suppose to be good enough. But its like currency inflation. Now everyone is going for 5 stars!
You can explain to your client what you feel. Also you can ask them to look around what is the average rating. Then you can ask the client to give a second opinion. There is no problem doing so. The request to change feedback functionality on oDesk is exactly for that.

Community Guru
3 of 16

I have had jobs where I certainly didn't deserve 5 stars, but in this case I actually (at his request) drafted an email detailing how he could improve his writing, without payment for doing so. The rating system, while useful if you work hard and are skilled, is subjective in nature, and not all clients are fair.

In this instance, I put it down to him being naive as to how odesk works. For the incident when I had to refund the money, I think it was an act of deliberate spitefullness wherby they wanted me to have to ask them to change it. I'm not going to bother to ask anyone to change my rating though, it's undignified and I'm going to have to accept the inherant unfairness of the system.

Community Guru
4 of 16

Having said this, it now looks like stars are disappearing throughout odesk. Has the rank unfairness of how I was treated filtered upwards to the managment, and now I've started a little revolution ? :-Man Surprised

Community Guru
Md Rahatur R Member Since: Apr 17, 2013
5 of 16

Well refunding my seems to be doing a favor to your profile. But eventually it would hurt your profile as oDesk algorithm will start to rank you down.

Also a bad rating is like a wound. It will fill over the time as you start earning more and more. And your 5 stars are not lost forever. You can regain it again.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 16
Rahatur isn't right. Refunding a client's payment is fine if you refund because you could not do the job. But refunding in order to remove less-than-perfect feedback is a very bad idea.

Remember: oDesk makes money when clients pay you, not when you refund them!

So if you refund clients repeatedly, it means you are not making clients happy and you are not making oDesk happy. That is the fast track to getting your account put under review or getting your account suspended.
Community Guru
7 of 16
Whoops. I meant to say that Rahatur IS right!

(Typing on an iPad and auto-fill messed me up and I did not notice until post was saved.)
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
8 of 16

Md. Rahatur R wrote: "Also a bad rating is like a wound. It will fill over the time as you start earning more and more. And your 5 stars are not lost forever. You can regain it again."

I agree that it's like a wound that should be allowed to heal so to speak with time, but I disagree that it's always possible to recover from it. I don't know what the exact math is, but my guess is that to recover from a rating on a $70k+ contract, you'd need to make at least another $300-500k to bring it fully back.

Community Guru
9 of 16
Re: "yet only a few ratings below 5 can destroy your career"

I do not know if this true.
What do other people think about this statement?

If this IS true, something should be done to change the situation, because this is not a good thing.
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
10 of 16

^It's not true. I was honestly crushed when I lost my 5 stars. Especially since it was for a job that I had done way more than what was requested (silly me).

But you'll find that it's sort of liberating :-D Now I'm not so obsessed with a perfect score, and am not so worried every time I wait for feedback.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS