dimskk

6 Years Old Account with 140+ Projects, 100% Satisfaction, Perfect Reviews - Blocked by UpWork

Hi Everyone,

Okay so I actually got notification from Upwork to do Verification via Video Chat. 

So, actually I didn't use my own original photo as my profile photo for my Upwork profile. Because I didn't want some of my family and friends here in my country to find my profile online and see my earnings and projects, because of some personal issues with them.

So, after I did the Video verification (I did all other answers correctly as it is my account and I perfectly know each and everything related to it), I got an email stating that my Upwork account got closed because of profile information mismatch.

Seriously?? Just because of profile picture or probably I talked in a different accent than the native English one? So, it means all years of effort, perfect client satisfaction, and so many successful projects done on Upwork, do not matter at all for Upwork?? Real profile picture matters the most??

To be honest, this is really disappointing. All of our hard earned reputation is nothing infront of Upwork and they just close accounts due to any reason and any time they want. All of my clients were very happy with me and there was not even a single bad review or complaint in the past 6 years. Don't know what to say now.

I guess i should have done something and build something of my own during these years without relying too much on such careless companies who don't care about you at all. A single mistake and you lose everything you have built during the whole past. So disappointing.

13 REPLIES 13
suvashkk

I dont know why upwork is behaving like this. I am working from 2013 and worked so much hard to make a perfect profile. But upwork new policy has imposed 20% of fees that is to much for small freelancers like me. when I read the new policy I thought it will be 10% after total $500 but I chat with customer care and they told me that it is for only one client individually. 

I will request to upwork to make relax relus for honest workers who are making the upwrok platform as recent plpular UPWORK site. 

No matter what you request or what you think, Upwork will never listen. They will only do what they think is right.

Doesn't care about anyone else at all.. or more specifically never care about Human relationships.

2591126f

Samiullah

I am not  sure but freelancers do have an option to use no photograph as well. Using someone else pic is a violation.

Your personal issues may be very important to you.But upwork or any other platform have no interest in them.

You have to abide by rules of any platform you use or not use it at all.

I am not saying that what I did was totally right.

But what upwork is doing is like:

"Permanently Expelling a Resident or National from the whole Country just because of License Plate Violation"

This is what does not make any sense.

@Samiullah K wrote:

I am not saying that what I did was totally right.

But what upwork is doing is like:

"Permanently Expelling a Resident or National from the whole Country just because of License Plate Violation"

This is what does not make any sense.

No.

They are removing someone from their own website who has misrepresented themselves for years. Upwork is not your home-country, it's a company which has every right to work with (or not work with, as the case may be) whomever they want. 

Well I understand your frustration, but there is a reason they are doing this: the site is besieged with a plague of fake accounts using fake profile photos.

versailles

It's not only Upwork. It's the clients and the other freelancers who are tired of fake profiles, liars and scammers. Identify verification was really needed. The original poster is a living proof of this.

That being said, what happened to him is very unfortunate, if only he didn't use a fake photo...

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

With an account that has a long track record and a reason why he was using a false photo, I would think Upwork would allow him to change his picture and resume working again.

Maybe a mod can comment or assist?

This is kind of a shame.

Samiullah:

Clearly you're not a villain or anything.

I don't blame you at all for being upset about how things turned out.

But don't blame Upwork. And you shouldn't even blame the clients who became more insistent about the problem with fake freelancer profiles.

The people who caused your problem are all the fake freelancers who were fraudulent and unprofessional in the way they conducted business on Upwork.

If the majority of fake freelancers - the other people who used fake profile photos and names - had simply gone about their business in an otherwise honest and professional manner, then Upwork would have never initiated the identity verification program.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Samiullah, 

When you agree to Upwork ToS, you agree to only provide truthful and accurate information about your identity, skills and experience. It includes your profile picture.

As others pointed out on the thread, misrepresenting information about a freelancer's identity isn't only a serious violation of Upwork ToS but also creates bad experience for clients and doesn't help build trust in the marketplace. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

I cannot see this person's profile since it is private.  However, we ban from the site someone who is using a photo not of themselves but otherwise (by what he reports) has a long successful history here, but we allow someone who has copied a profile word for word to change the details on his own time and continue to work on this platform?  I am not going to defend what the OP did and I hate to get into "degrees of wrong"; however, the rules should be applied equally.  

Hi Scott,

I agree and this has been discusses a lot internally lately. We've made some adjustments to our processes that should help with the situation. I'll also follow up on your most recent support ticket about the same issues.

~ Valeria
Upwork

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Scott,

I agree and this has been discusses a lot internally lately. We've made some adjustments to our processes that should help with the situation. I'll also follow up on your most recent support ticket about the same issues.

Great support from you as usual Valeria.  Thanks!