Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: 6 connects for Entry level job?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
51 of 60

Yeah, Rahul, the Upwork algorithm that assigns connect values to new projects might as well be a monkey throwing darts at a board with the numbers 2, 4 and 6 on it.

I'd rather see Upwork assign connects required for new projects based on freelancers' work history and average project value, which is probably a better determinant of what the freelancer can expect to be paid on a new project value than anything Upwork can otherwise measure. In my limited experience, many clients obviously have no clue how much they should expect to spend for completion of their projects, so how can Upwork expect to know better?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
52 of 60

Will L wrote:

Yeah, Rahul, the Upwork algorithm that assigns connect values to new projects might as well be a monkey throwing darts at a board with the numbers 2, 4 and 6 on it.

I'd rather see Upwork assign connects required for new projects based on freelancers' work history and average project value, which is probably a better determinant of what the freelancer can expect to be paid on a new project value than anything Upwork can otherwise measure. In my limited experience, many clients obviously have no clue how much they should expect to spend for completion of their projects, so how can Upwork expect to know better?

I don't see how Upwork could possibly implement different connect charges for every freelancer here; also, if they make connects cheaper based on past project values, it will only encourage spam bidding by low earners.

Highlighted
MUHAMMAD IQBAL S Member Since: May 5, 2016
53 of 60

Hi Will, you are absolutely right. I also believe that most clients are not picking up the right parameters while they are uploading new projects. Like they are making a long term project without giving it any thought if they really have any intention to hire someone on long term basis. But due to their lack of attention, freelancers will have to spend 6 connects.

Community Guru
Rafsun S Member Since: Feb 10, 2018
BEST ANSWER
54 of 60

Upwork needs lots of money even it doesn't a matter to Upwork, if Freelancers doesn't get jobs or clients never hire anyone. Upwork is getting money whatever the Job was granted to anyone or not! You can see, almost every jobs get more than 50 proposals. That means Upwork earns $45 without anything if there needs a 6 connects...if the job granted to anyone, Upwork earns again 20% commission. It's business brother...it's business! But I strongly believe, what is going on here, is not fair!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
55 of 60

Rafsun - It's a business, brother, it's a business - and Upwork has always lost money. We just better hope they manage to stay afloat.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
61 of 60

Christine A wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

I read the OP in an Eeyore voice and all the replies got a Winnie the Pooh voice and then I chuckled.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I sound IRL.

I prefer to believe myself a Tigger, but I am afraid I might be a Rabbit.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
61 of 60

Mark F wrote:

Christine A wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

I read the OP in an Eeyore voice and all the replies got a Winnie the Pooh voice and then I chuckled.

No, you're definitely a Tigger.

Highlighted
Community Guru
61 of 60

Christine A wrote:

Mark F wrote:

Christine A wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

It's an apt description true: Look at those beady little eyes, and that preposterous chin, and those ridiculous striped pajamas

Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
61 of 60

Mark F wrote:

Christine A wrote:

Mark F wrote:

Christine A wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

It's an apt description true: Look at those beady little eyes, and that preposterous chin, and those ridiculous striped pajamas

Mark, nobody wants to know what you wear when you are freelancing. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
61 of 60

Mark, nobody wants to know what you wear when you are freelancing. 

Even more so what I am not wearing...

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS