Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60 Connects. A joke.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
11 of 23

@Ray C wrote:

I finally used up my 60 connects in one month.

Must be nice.  I seldom even get to use half.  I still have 46 left for this month.

Even so, I'd like to see Upwork "come clean" and offer 30 connects per month and charge 1 connect per bid.

I think maybe they need to start charging 5 Connects for some jobs.  As this month is winding to a close, I'm seeing a lot of jobs that are getting 50+ applicants (some even going into the 100+ territory).  I don't know if it's the influx from Elance, fake accounts set up just to submit proposals, or simply a factor of the overall low quality of jobs that are being posted.  Whatever the reason, it doesn't do clients any good when they're flooded by freelancers who just want to spend their connects before expiration.  The trivial accounting issue of doing 1/30 instead of 2/60 pales in comparison to the real issues that Connects are facing.

Also, how about showing the "Connects Available" in RED when they fall below 4? The tiny green number is pretty obscure.

I'd rather they highlight a different number than position, like the velocity or even acceleration.  Knowing that you have only 4 left to spend in the last few days of a month is nowhere near as valuable as knowing on the 6th that you're spending them at a rate that will leave you bankrupt by the 23rd.  Or, alternatively, the measure could be how many Connects/day you should budget if you want to reach 0 at the end of the month (e.g., my current quota puts me at 7.6667/day left).

Highlighted
Community Leader
Matija M Member Since: Feb 4, 2013
12 of 23

@Darrin O wrote:

@Ray C wrote:

I finally used up my 60 connects in one month.

Must be nice.  I seldom even get to use half.  I still have 46 left for this month.

Solution is fairly easy Darrin - troll (and mock) around over 23 joke posts like "I want a website for $5" and send 'em a cat pic/vid attached to your application. Cats Darrin, a lot of cats. Never enough. Nevaaa!!!1

Highlighted
Community Guru
13 of 23

@Matija M wrote:

Solution is fairly easy Darrin - troll (and mock) around over 23 joke posts like "I want a website for $5" and send 'em a cat pic/vid attached to your application. Cats Darrin, a lot of cats.

If only there weren't so many bad jobs, then maybe there would be some fun in that.  But I'd burn through all my Connects in less than a day if I spent them on the junk that Upwork allows "clients" to get away with.  I'd much rather they address their quality issues; there's plenty of other place on the Internet where cats can take over.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Ani M Member Since: Nov 1, 2015
14 of 23

@Darrin O wrote:

I think maybe they need to start charging 5 Connects for some jobs.  As this month is winding to a close, I'm seeing a lot of jobs that are getting 50+ applicants (some even going into the 100+ territory).  I don't know if it's the influx from Elance, fake accounts set up just to submit proposals, or simply a factor of the overall low quality of jobs that are being posted.  Whatever the reason, it doesn't do clients any good when they're flooded by freelancers who just want to spend their connects before expiration. 

No, they need a better screening process for clients and freelancers. I'm one of the ones who doesn't apply for a job if I don't match at least 90% of what is required, if there are more than a handful of other freelancers applying, and if I see any red exclimation points in the requirements (mainly for JSS and hours on UpWork). Yet, on some jobs, I see the same freelancers applying over and over again and not following the requests. (Maybe I'm making it harder on myself and should not worry about the exclimation points.)

Still to raise the number of connects to 5 would punish the honest ones in hopes of weeding out the bad ones. Too Draconian for me.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
15 of 23

No matter how tempting, I would not waste connects smacking the wrists of clients who are demanding too much for too little.

Make the most of the two connects per job proposal, because very soon Upwork will be following the Elance lead of charging more connects according to the value of the job.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
16 of 23

@Nichola L wrote:

Make the most of the two connects per job proposal, because very soon Upwork will be following the Elance lead of charging more connects according to the value of the job.

...and when the connects go up, those rollovers will come in very hand. I'm also paying for the rollover and saving as many as possible.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
17 of 23

I don't believe you can waste connects by subtly telling clients they aren't playing with enough money.

How I do it, is, I will apply to the job that shows a possibility of being good or if I get good vibes from it. I might be confusing the vibes from my dell with the job post but that's something I'm still in the process of adjusting. 

I will be polite of course and treat the proposal like I'm applying to  a bell Canada post with an injection of my own  inimitable personality chock full of charm and sparkling wit. 

I like to take chances. Otherwise I wouldn't be in this line of work I suppose. Even betting the horses I used to bet wildly just for the thrill of it. (that's another story there and I'll save that for the memoirs I'm working on) . 

So if I can smack a wrist with a feather and maybe get the client to see that I"m going to add something to their project and get hired as a result... it's a win win! 

If it doesn't work, it doesn't work and I have not lost anything but a connect. In the grand scheme of things a connect and $2.50 will get me onto a London transit bus, and not much else these days. lol. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
18 of 23

Hi Nichola,

You take a lot of time here and perhaps you know the solution of this mystery.
Why all jobs require two Connects? Have you ever seen one where you spend only one? Is the reason that 60 Connects gives you the illusion that many? Why 60 and not 30 and one Connect for proposal?
Since I started here's something on my mind.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
19 of 23

My theory is that it's an inside joke by UW. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
20 of 23

@Maria T wrote:

Have you ever seen one where you spend only one? Is the reason that 60 Connects gives you the illusion that many? Why 60 and not 30 and one Connect for proposal?

Why is a dollar made up of 100 pennies?  Do you ever see anything you can buy with just a penny?

The value of 1/30 is the same as 2/60.  Let's not make this an issue of innumeracy.  Focus on the bigger issue of what Upwork should be doing to make the use of Connects more meaningful.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS