Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60 Connects limit is misleading

Highlighted
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
91 of 174

@Yasmina L wrote:

So basically, I could waste all of my 60 connects on unresponsive clients, and oDesk couldn't care less? 

Correct.

Arens M Member Since: Mar 15, 2015
92 of 174

I feel your pain. Same here. This connects thing ruined my income

Highlighted
Edward F Member Since: Apr 12, 2015
93 of 174

I've worked on Odesk, Elance and Freelancer (mostly dev jobs) on and off since 2009, I used to use Odesk to supplement the income from my full-time job. At the moment I am unemployed and am trying desperately to make ends meet by working as a freelance primarily on Odesk.

But  the changes they've made are not helping at all. And since I've dealt with customer service before and seen this platform evolve, they've always given me the impression that their policy on new features is 'Take it, or Leave it!'.  

The same reason I stopped bidding on Elance. But now that they have acquired Odesk, I don't think they're going to change their mind.

I would hate to come across as ungrateful (or make this seem like a rant) since Odesk  & Elance have helped my through some tough times financially and I am still hopeful that I'll secure a contract this time around.  This is just my opinion and I hope that they do condsider our requests and revert back to the old system. We already pay 10% and now they force a subscription on us! Anyway, lets hope for the best...

Highlighted
Community Leader
Bob H Member Since: Feb 18, 2009
94 of 174

I'm a full time freelancer.  I averaged 20 jobs per month for the 1st qtr.  I have just 4 jobs this month and am almost out of connects.  

The connects are not only misleading they're handcuffing contractors and possibly keeping the best people from the job. 

bh

Highlighted
Community Guru
Karin S Member Since: Dec 6, 2009
95 of 174

I was surprised all jobs "costs" 2 connects to apply to.

Like others my connets are all gone.

What makes Odesk to charge 2 not 1 connect for each job ?

Bit frustrating.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Karin S Member Since: Dec 6, 2009
96 of 174

Bought some extra connects for 10 USD. And they will cover to Bid for 5 jobs.

So expensive to apply for a project...Smiley Embarassed

Highlighted
Padma D Member Since: Feb 22, 2015
97 of 174

Dear oDesk!

1. Why call it 60 connects, when it's is more like 30 applications a month?

30 per month !! Really?!

With dozens of freelancers bidding for each Contract, I guess the joke's on me as a freelancer, when I am expected to stand a chance in landing a contract --  with 30 applications a month! 

2. I understand how the corporate model works: turn a free site into a pay-to-play site, after zillions of freelancers use it, so they are forced to take a paid membership

But evidently, your Connects system has become a frustrating situation for freelancers. 

Personally, I really liked working through oDesk because the "no monthy fee, and 10% commission" system really worked for me. I was absolutely happy with paying a commission on each successful contract! That's fair, and that's what I signed up for when I joined oDesk!

But turning oDesk into a pay-to-play site ON TOP of the commission charged per completed Contract AND bonus is, beyond not fair!

(Side note: Apart from it's features, would Facebook be what it is today if it were a PAID site?! )

3.  Attention oDesk: It's a domino effect for me as a freelancer and for you!

If I apply for fewer jobs, my hire rate decreases, my monthly income decreases, and therefore, it means lesser commission for oDesk. 

I'm optimistically hoping that you hit Revert and get us all back to the glory days!

Best,

Padma

Highlighted
Community Guru
Iftikhar I Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
98 of 174

Padma

Agree with you what you have said about the the 60 connects the Idea behinde is to make them feel that are lots of connects for freelancer even though its just 30 applications with these 30 applications may be the 15 will goes to autohide folder so you are left with 15 how many people will get hired? there are clients who just post the job and never come back to see if there are applicants so we burn out connects with this situation freelancer should play bingo to get the job and odesk will have the business from connects.

Its the freelancer who will suffer even we buy connects there will be less chances to get hired.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
MG Arfath A Member Since: Jul 17, 2010
99 of 174

@Iftikhar I wrote:

Padma

Agree with you what you have said about the the 60 connects the Idea behinde is to make them feel that are lots of connects for freelancer even though its just 30 applications with these 30 applications may be the 15 will goes to autohide folder so you are left with 15 how many people will get hired? there are clients who just post the job and never come back to see if there are applicants so we burn out connects with this situation freelancer should play bingo to get the job and odesk will have the business from connects.

Its the freelancer who will suffer even we buy connects there will be less chances to get hired.

Iftikhar,

I'm just waiting for some good news from oDesk at the end of this month about connects system, the sooner the better.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Iftikhar I Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
100 of 174

I think it will take some time to Odesk to compare their last year income and the income after connects if they get more bussines than before it will stay.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS