Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60 Connects limit is misleading

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
31 of 174

I too have seen the same thing. A LOT less spammy applications to jobs they are not even qualified for. That does help me to stand out and the client no longer has to sift through dozens of ridiculous applicants.

The old system allowed you to apply to 25 jobs a DAY !!!

All you had to do was apply and at the end of the day withdraw your applications and start fresh the next day with 25 new applications. 

This was the reason for so much spam. Now all that has stopped and that's been a good thing. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
MG Arfath A Member Since: Jul 17, 2010
32 of 174

@Jean S wrote:

I too have seen the same thing. A LOT less spammy applications to jobs they are not even qualified for. That does help me to stand out and the client no longer has to sift through dozens of ridiculous applicants.

The old system allowed you to apply to 25 jobs a DAY !!!

All you had to do was apply and at the end of the day withdraw your applications and start fresh the next day with 25 new applications. 

This was the reason for so much spam. Now all that has stopped and that's been a good thing. 

For the past 3 days I have bid on 6 jobs, only 1 of them has conducted an interview (no hires) all of the other jobs are as it is, no interview conducted by the clients, on all the 6 jobs that I applied on an average only 6 freelancers have applied to it.  So even if the freelancers applying (spammy freelancers like some people call) have lessened it hasn't encouraged the clients to hire or pickup from even 4 or 6 freelancers who have applied.

Bottomline is some people think freelancers spam, I don't think so most of them apply for jobs just like others, let us agree that freelancers spam but what about CLIENTS who spam ???? 6 jobs and only 1 interview i'm sure even that guy will not hire anyone. aren't this non-responsive employers spamming and wasting our connects ?? Why no effort is being put on to curb employer spamming ??

The employers simply don't even bother to cancel the project, oDesk should put a rule if an employer isn't conducting interview in 3 or 4 days time they have to automatically cancel that project, atleast we will get our connnects back. whats the use of having a project open for 1 month if none is getting hired ?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Iftikhar I Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
33 of 174

MG Arfath

I have requested Odesk in other thread minimum a week and maximuim two weeks  to cancel a job automatically if no interview conducted the 2 to 3 days are impossible for them to accept.

Highlighted
Trevor R Member Since: Apr 5, 2015
34 of 174

I've been active as both a client and a freelancer. I have seen much more spam job postings than spam job applications.  

Highlighted
John O Member Since: Jan 15, 2015
35 of 174

Yes spam job postings need to be observed. This will actually solve the problem. In fact when you study the system, say you appply for ten jobs. and you get no response after a week or so. Then go back and check out the activity on those jobs. You willl realize majrity have nothing, no nterview, no hires. So it means you wasted your time sifting through the jobs, writing cover lettsr, answering questions etc..then the client just goes away and cares less. oDesk needs to address this. The client side must also be held accountable and be pushed to be responsible. Someone must come posting a job knowing what they are doing. I would suggest after one week without interview, automatically cancel the job and return the connects to freelancer or give the client a warning then automitically cancel it after 48 hours. If an interview is conducted and no hire is made within 2 weeks, cancel the job and refund connects. This way clients will be forced to plan themselves out and get serious. in the end we will have few meaningful job posts and freelancers will not be frustrated with having to go over 100s of job posts that may never amount to anything...thanks!

Highlighted
Dale M Member Since: Dec 13, 2009
36 of 174

Excellent point -- I see many old job postings with little client activity (interviews), and no hires. Are clients permitted to post jobs without limit? Do they know that freelancers now must "pay" to respond, and that if they have little intention of hiring from an oDesk posting, they're hurting the freelancers here?

Freelancers should be more alert as to the number of posts and hires a client has before wasting connects on them. Maybe the spammy clients will start getting the message.

Highlighted
Lisa T Member Since: Apr 28, 2015
37 of 174

I SO AGREE! Employers should not post a job if they are not going to follow through and hire. So many jobs posted will say.” Fast turn around, need job completed in the next so many hours after being hired.” I apply spend my connects and never hear about the job again. I will go back to the job posting to see when they last looked at the job and it has been days since they looked at any applications.

If we can’t get our 2 connects back from an unresponsive (letting you know the job has been canceled or hired out to another contractor) Maybe we could at least get 1 connect back?

I am so tired of wasting my time on cover letters and answering the questions and now spending connects to never even be acknowledged

Highlighted
Virtual C Member Since: Feb 4, 2016
38 of 174

Your suggestion is really very good I have seen that client has posted several jobs but didnt hired, so client should also pay for this else the connects should be refunded.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
39 of 174

It's a great idea to cut down on spam, but the flip side of it is a problem. As a freelancer, I find the majority of jobs posted in my category are from new/unverified clients who very often drop their project before hiring, or waste your time with interviews and promises of hiring you... then they never get around to it.

So, what happens is I blow through my connects on poor quality clients. When I run out, I'm forced to pay $2 per application, which has a much higher chance of never turning into a job.

Do I want to pay $2 for each application going to a low quality client? Of course not.

What the alternative? Find work on another platform.

What happens when I start fining work elsewhere? I no longer have interest in oDesk.

Great idea to cut down on spam, but oSDesk also needs to consider that their client base is just as poor as the quality of contractors they are trying to regulate.

It's a two way street, with a one way solution at the moment.

Also... what about htose working for $3/hr? A $2 application fee, for a chance to get in line with 50 others doesn;t make any sense. You guys are forcing your freelancers to discover other options!

Highlighted
Bankesh T Member Since: Apr 6, 2015
40 of 174

New Connect System is totally frustrating during the bidding!

This system will loose the business of contractor on ODesk!

Can ODesk Explain here what they mean 60 connects?

• When we apply for 1 Job then that will use 2 connects that mean here we are getting 30 connects per month!
  • So Here ODesk should say 30 Connect Instead of 60 Connects!

I think to avoid the frustration ODesk should back the old system!

Really I don't like new connect system!

Also I don't think contractors will like this system!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS