cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60 Connects limit is misleading

Highlighted
Jayson R Member Since: Mar 3, 2014
61 of 174

Yes. I don't really like about Connects thing, it's killing me! I widrew all my past applications last night, so that  today I must have more Applications to send in some job posting, BUT because of this NEW SYSTEM, CONNECTS thing, Feels like I dont have freedom to apply for new Open posted job.

oDesk's New "Connects" System is Screwing Everyone, Specially FREELANCER.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Jennifer H.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Gyan D Member Since: Sep 4, 2014
62 of 174

Seconding Jennifer.

I bypassed bidding on 3 to 4 jobs so far because the client's brief was incomplete but what was described was well within my skillset. With such a limited number of connects, I can't afford to spend them on jobs where the description turns out to be incomplete or misleading.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Corinne L Member Since: Jun 3, 2013
63 of 174

Well, I don't usually bid a lot, so I'm not really afraid of going out of connects (but it's true that I didn't bid on 2 jobs on which I would have bid before the connects system). But, the thing is, I've been browsing some jobs and their list of applicants in my job feed and while it's true that there are fewer applicants, my main concern is that there are fewer QUALIFIED applicants, and sometimes there are NONE! So I'm really afraid that the system is going to drive away the clients who will not find qualified applicants for their jobs. I hope oDesk will make a kind of evaluation about the hiring results (and the client's satisfaction) at the end of the month.

There's something else which seems strange to me when I browse the jobs and lists of applicants : for instance, there's a client stating he wants a French native for his job and he's inviting only non-French natives ! Also, the other day, I was invited by a French client who was looking for a native ENGLISH person and I noticed that he invited only FRENCH natives (like me). Is this due to the "recommended freelancers" algorithm ? If it is, it really needs improvement !

Highlighted
Community Guru
Iftikhar I Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
64 of 174

As I understood from the last couple of weeks the story is revolving around $10 per month from freelancers or what ever.

Freelancers as well as clients are not happy with this system everybody are suffering from the new system it could be JS or connects.

Fact of the matter is Odesk need $10 per month from each freelancer thats the reason Odesk has introduced this system even if no one is happy with it.

So its better we pay $10 per month to Odesk to revert the system back as it was running before and everyone was happy and earning a lots $$$$$$ for Odesk as well as for themselves.

Sorry if someone is not agree with it.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
MG Arfath A Member Since: Jul 17, 2010
65 of 174

@Iftikhar I wrote:

Fact of the matter is Odesk need $10 per month from each freelancer thats the reason Odesk has introduced this system even if no one is happy with it.

Iftikhar,

Its not just about $10, oDesk is selling connects now its in your capacity how much you buy. Even if we pay 10 bucks more we will get only Freelancer plus plan that has 70 connects per month, so instead of 60  connects (free) we get extra 10 connects more for paying $10, for some one who bids like 30 jobs per week he has to buy180 connects more by spending $180. so the maths will be like this (60 free + 180 connects) = 240 connects = 120 job applications / month. 

If they had a membership plan where they give 120 connects ( I will still bat for 1 connect for 1 job) I would have upgraded without thinking twice. even if it had costed me $10 or $15. but $180 or $100 for buying connects is just too much.

but all I can say now is #BringBackWeeklyQouta to oDesk.

Highlighted
Enuma L Member Since: Jan 16, 2017
66 of 174

I am new on the platform, but I could see from the first moment that the 60 connects per month is bad for the platform.
If the connects were to rotate back each time a proposal is turned down, it may have made sense.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
67 of 174

@Enuma L wrote:

I am new on the platform, but I could see from the first moment that the 60 connects per month is bad for the platform.

If it was bad for the platform, they would have changed it. They said repeatedly that they won't make any change in this field.

Means it works well for Upwork.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
68 of 174

They Great Carnac has spoken.

Highlighted
Marcus B Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
69 of 174

This "Connects" system is forcing me to look elsewhere for work. I personally have no intention Of purchasing the $10 dollar membership of paying extra money to apply to a job which is basically a gamble to get. ODesk would make me more money off of me by allowing to apply to more jobs for a better chance of getting more work than trying to get me to spend money for the opportunity to apply for a job I only have a chance in getting.

They said jobs will cost 1-5 connects to aply there for you only have 60-12 applications a month. From what i have seen finding a 1 Connect job posting is a rarity so most likely you will be spending 2 connects leaving to apply for only 30 jobs at most. And here are the major flaws to the system, In my experience there have been many clients that created a job posting but never follow through on those jobs and never hire anyone for them. So you waste your Connects applying to them. Within a week time I have applied to 4 different designs jobs that turn out to be a phishing scam by the same person copying and pasting the same reply message. Will I receive my connects back from applying to these jobs, probably no.

By hurting my ability to apply to more jobs you hurt my ability to make more money which in turn hurts ODesk in making money off my work. If you really cared about clients being spammed by freelancers then you can simple implement a filter system for them on their job post so they can view only the freelance that meet their criteria. This system is just a money grab. I started ELance and ODesk at the time before the merger. I received nearly 40 jobs on Odesk since I started using it last year and only 7 on Elance. Why the big difference? Cause I prefer the "old" Odesk System.

This new system will fail both clients and freelancers. Freelance have less opportunity to find work and make more money which will make more money for Odesk. The Clients on the other hand don't get a larger pool off freelancers  to choose from and might have to rely on someone who can't finish the job to their satisfaction.

My conclusion is to only look at other methods of finding work as a freelancer.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Tasos F Member Since: Dec 18, 2012
70 of 174

This system would work a lot better if we received the connects from jobs that we didn't get hired right away like with the old system. As many have mentioned right now it's a gamble and also it's hurting clients that want to hire people for small jobs.

A premium subscription is fine as long as it's fair, but right now I don't see anything good coming out of the system oDesk decided to use.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS