cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60 Connects limit is misleading

Highlighted
Carolyn S Member Since: Apr 8, 2015
71 of 174

I know that odesk is copying the Connect System from Elance, which they just bought. But on Elance, the agency fees are lower to compensate for the cost of connects. It is only fair tht odesk lower their fees to 8% since they're asking us to BUY connects in order to apply for jobs. Also on Elance, its usually only 1 connect to apply for a job whereas odesk is asking for 2 connects. 

It feels like the contractors are getting the shaft while the company is getting richer every day.They already earn $50 or $60 million a year so what do they need with my extra $10? I need that much worse than they do!!!

Highlighted
Asad S Member Since: Apr 8, 2015
72 of 174

Hey,

I already completed my job quota, So I finishing my quota I can not bid any more work. When I withdraw my bidding job, but it would not work at withdraw, I cannot change my membership plan... so what should I do? The client will be hired other, but job can't be declined. Please someone give me some advise.
Regards
Asad

Highlighted
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
73 of 174

HI Asad,

You can upgrade your membership right away if you feel you need to have additional Connects immediately. Other than that option which I understand may not be your prefrence (since it does involve upgrading to a paid membership) you'll need to wait until your membership plan renews.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Ray C Member Since: Apr 10, 2009
74 of 174

Quote: "You can upgrade your membership right away if you feel you need to have additional Connects immediately."

I feel this response clearly expresses my concern that oDesk has changed the system to benefit oDesk. Problem is Freelancers make money for oDesk and if they leave oDesk suffers. That is what will happen with the current Connects structure.

Highlighted
Community Leader
william b Member Since: Jan 3, 2015
75 of 174

Total bait & switch.

I just "upgraded" to "Membership Plus" and instead of 70 connects oDesk negatively prorated the number (based on what???) to 40 until "next month". when I'm sure they'll expect full payment again.

They didn't have any problem taking the full payment this time of course.

Really unhappy and dissatisfied.

Time for a change...

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
MG Arfath A Member Since: Jul 17, 2010
76 of 174

Now after 7 days of 'connects' system, I'm seeing this as counter-productive not only to the freelancers but also to the clients,  if the employer has not verfied his payment method then only 4 or 5 freelancers are bidding on that project most of them are newbies, so experienced freelancers are staying away from new / unverfied clients this will simply make the new clients walk away from this site if they don't find credibile service provider, oDesk what are you doing ??

I can relate this 'connect' system of oDesk with Microsoft Win8 launch, everything was going fine for MS with Win7 but they choose to go with a consumer irritating product Windows 8 and when it hit the market PC / laptop sales fell flat, it is regarded as the worst Microsoft OS till date by experts and users alike. Similarly the Weekly qouta system was fine, oDesk should have done something else to improve service provider quality on the website instead of introducing  'connects'.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Zubair J Member Since: Apr 6, 2015
77 of 174
I have been using the connect system from a week now, but I have to say it is very disoppinting experience. I have applied 5 to 6 jobs but did't get any result before connect system I was making nice money here but now my business is going down because of this system. I am a regular freelancer and have worked on 100+ jobs I have 500+ hours and a great track record, My job success ratio is 88% but still finding difficulties in geting considered for a job. Since I have a limited quota of 30 jobs per month I can not see my business growing by this system. Also if I want to become a paid member so I can apply for additional jobs, oDesk is creating a problem here as well for the freelancers of Pakistan and other Asian countires they have requirements of paypal, or credit card which is very difficult to get in these countries, paypal is not available and credit card is difficult to get. oDesk have to think for freelancers otherwise we will look for alternative sources to build our carrer
Highlighted
Community Guru
Iftikhar I Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
78 of 174

Agree with you Zubair for your frustration about the connects.I think If you need extra connects you can use your Odesk account balance to buy connects when you need to apply.

So always keep some $$$ in your Odesk account.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Samiun M Member Since: Feb 5, 2015
79 of 174

Hey do we get our connects back when a job we appplied to gets closed or the client hires another freelancer?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Iftikhar I Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
80 of 174

Samiun

You can get back your connects only when a client or Odesk cancel the job.So you should have to be carefull when using connects if you just want to stick with the basic plan.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS