Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60 Connects limit is misleading

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Andy G Member Since: Apr 2, 2015
81 of 174

You have an extremely valid point, Zubair.  The system penalises those in certain countries with the new connects system yet oDesk greatly benefits from the same countries.

I have to admit it's nice not to have to apply for a job after 60 other people, I'm seeing far fewer people applying but that said there are still not enough connects to warrant applying for jobs where the brief is woolly.

oDesk suffers from this. 

I see that they have Project Success Recruiter's who chase you to see if you would like to apply for a job now, I guess that's their idea of added value?

Seems a bit dumb to take a simple system and then employ recruitment agents to do the work the freelancer was doing themselves.

Oh well.

Highlighted
Ganesh B Member Since: Jul 20, 2013
82 of 174

Odesk was simple earlier. They have complicated their system. Odesk is stepping down from a superior system they had.

They could restricted the job applying abilities of a Freelancer with specific skills.

Say a Accountant should not be allowed to apply for a post on Marketing. Which happens earlier.

Highlighted
Raman G Member Since: Aug 22, 2012
83 of 174

same issue with me

Raman

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Zubair J Member Since: Apr 6, 2015
84 of 174

Dear Iftikhar, Freelancers have to suffer anyway by this system spending my money into these jobs which I am not sure I will get will be a hedeck for me.

We are all suffering from the connect system. Freelancers from Asian countries always looks for small jobs so they can get these easily, for this they was applying for more jobs but now they have limited job quota the chance of getting the job is very low, before the connect system job quota was fine every one was happy about it but now I have seen much freelancers are worried about it.

We can not apply for small jobs now, but for bigger jobs there are bigger competition even a great quality freelancer is also suffering from this, great freelancer means top rated.

Recently I have seen a job post for graphic design work and believe it or not, It have 39 applications in just 2 hours, so the trick here which oDesk is trying to use is not working they want less applications for an average job so the client can hire easily but how you will explain this now.  

oDesk really have to think about it. I am already using an alternate for it and doing well.

Highlighted
Michael C Member Since: Oct 7, 2011
85 of 174

Whilst I'm broadly in favour of the connect system as it will reduce the number of spammy applications (I'm both freelancer and client on here) I feel there should be a mechanism to refund the connects if the client hasn't hired within n days of posting the job ad.  That way freelancers only "pay" to apply for real jobs and are not penalised for accidentally applying for any of the vast quantity of spam jobs that gets posted day in day out on here. 

Highlighted
Community Leader
Asif R Member Since: Jan 7, 2015
86 of 174

Odesk was one of the best freelancer site in the world. The connects system really disturbed the community of freelancers who were Pro and new on Odesk. Odesk must think about this policy or increase number of connects or number of connects for per apply should be reduced to 1 as other freelancer sites does.

I created a post on freelancer section but someone deleted it :-(

Asif Rehman
Highlighted
Himanshu V Member Since: Apr 10, 2015
87 of 174

Hi,

The connects system does not work smoothly. Its not in the favor of developers and creating a mess. We are not liking this system. PLease let me know what should we do in this case.

Here I have attached the snapshot of the job and the name of applicants. **edited for Community Guidelines** was hired by the client but he was not even in the applicants list. Here is the job link:

**edited for Community Guidelines**

In this case we must get back our connects back or there must be a system which can help us to identify that this job is not for us,its for some one particular. And most of the times I saw that client has invited the developer but it appears after we send the application.

Please see the attachment and give us a solution.

Thanks
Himanshu

Highlighted
ILA K Member Since: Apr 10, 2015
88 of 174

Hi,

I have an issue which really matters a lot for the developers. As we all know that we are working on connect system now a days. But most of the times we are facing the problem that we bid on the job and client has already invited to some one else directly and we came to know about this after applying to the job. By this we lost our connects and which is a serious issue.

There should be a process to re gain our connects for the jobs in which client has invited by his own. Or we must know before applying to the job that client has invited some one else for the job.

I have lost several connects in this way. After applying to the job i came to know that Client has already selected some one by the invite.

I hope odesk will definitely solve this problem of their users. It if very difficult to work on odesk now a days. We are not feeling that much comfort as earlier.

Regards
ILA

Highlighted
Community Guru
Gyan D Member Since: Sep 4, 2014
89 of 174

A similar thing happened with me.

A client posted a job in February, hired someone from among the applicants and said hire received positive feedback. They posted another job of the same type in the past few days; invited some freelancers from the oDesk recommended list and then a bunch of others applied, including me. The original hired freelancer wasn't on the list. However, when I saw the profile of that freelancer a couple of days back after he applied on another job I did, turns out he was hired and already paid for this new job (same title and budget).

The new job posting is still "open" - no, the job doesn't call for or require multiple hires. The key issue here is that the client hasn't cancelled the job, so we have lost connects for what wasn't truly an opportunity to begin with. Because clients don't pay for listings, they can be cavalier about posting jobs for which they aren't serious in hiring. The connects can still be recovered if the client cancels the job now, however, it's not important from their perspective to do so, so that's unlikely.

Highlighted
Yasmina L Member Since: Apr 3, 2015
90 of 174

From what I understood, the only way to get connects back once they're spent on a job application is if the job is cancelled. But what about when the job posting simply expires? Or when the client is completely unresponsive and disappears after posting their job? 

I have applied to about 15 jobs since the beginning of April, and I've literally only gotten (negative) feedback from a couple of them. A couple just expired, and while I'm technically "interviewing" for three of them, all three clients haven't gotten back to me since their initial message. 

So basically, I could waste all of my 60 connects on unresponsive clients, and oDesk couldn't care less? 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS