🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: $600 + and 20% fee
Page options
edesignmk
Community Member

$600 + and 20% fee

Hi, I have over $600+ total earnings but the fee is still 20% when I submit a proposal. How long does it takes to get the 10% after I reach $500+ earnings?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Goran A wrote:

Yes, that's correct. But my stats on my profile shows 600+ earnings but it still takes 20% fee. I am not sure why is that.

Hi Goran, the 20% fee applies individually to each client. So if you work with Client A and reach $500, then you bump down to 10% for ONLY Client A. When you get a contract with Client B, that contract will also start at 20% until you reach $500 earnings with Client B, and so on. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
prestonhunter
Community Member

It doesn't take a "length of time." So there is no "how long."

The fee is 20% on the first $500 of earnings with a client.

Then, starting with $501, the fee drops to 10%.

These dollar amounts are earnings with an individual client, no matter how many different contracts you have with the same client.

Yes, that's correct. But my stats on my profile shows 600+ earnings but it still takes 20% fee. I am not sure why is that.

Goran A wrote:

Hi Goran, the 20% fee applies individually to each client. So if you work with Client A and reach $500, then you bump down to 10% for ONLY Client A. When you get a contract with Client B, that contract will also start at 20% until you reach $500 earnings with Client B, and so on. 

Thanks for this information. 

You're very welcome. 

I have $700+ of earnings and  I have only worked and I am only working with 1 client since I opened my account. Why is it still taking the 20% fee?

Hi Isabelle, 

I merged your posts as it pertains to the same topic anyway. As a gentle reminder, in the Community, we ask members to refrain from posting the same post twice on different threads because it is considered spam. You may read more about the Upwork Community Guidelines here for your reference. 

As for your concern, I checked your account and can confirm that moving forward, your contract with this client will be charged a 10% freelancer service fee. I want to highlight the FAQ in this article - "What happens if I cross a fee threshold in a single payment?" It says that - 

"All contracts that cross a fee threshold will be charged at a blended rate. For example, if you begin an hourly or fixed-price contract with a new client for $600, you’ll be billed 20% on the first $500 and 10% on the remaining $100. The same is true of a $15,000 contract – you’ll be billed 20% on the first $500, 10% on the next $9,500, and 5% on the last $5,000.

We will automatically apply the lower service fee if our system detects that your total billings with a client have exceeded a fee threshold. You can verify this by checking the service fee invoice breakdown in your Transaction History."

You may check the article I linked above for more information about your concern. I hope this helps clarify it!

~ Avery
Upwork
641a7b62
Community Member

Hi Upwork,

I want to ask about the 20% Fee. When is the right time that I can get lesser fee of 10%? For fixed price and hourly rate?

Will I get 10% when I receive $500 and up? for fixed and hourly? or when I reached an earning of $500 for both?

Please help 🙂

Thank you

Marie Cris Jade Q wrote:

Hi Upwork,

I want to ask about the 20% Fee. When is the right time that I can get lesser fee of 10%? For fixed price and hourly rate?

Will I get 10% when I receive $500 and up? for fixed and hourly? or when I reached an earning of $500 for both?

Please help 🙂

Thank you

It does not matter what kind of contract it is, or how many until you reach 500 per client to get the lower percentage. 

Hi Martina,

Thank you so much 🙂

Hi Marie,

I do see you've already received the information you were looking for from Martina (thanks Martina!). I'd like to follow up and share the Help article which includes more information on the sliding service fee you enquired about. Feel free to follow up if you have any other questions on this or any other topic!

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hey everybody,

I'm fairly new to the platform and currently working with a company. As I can see on my platform, I already overpassed the $500.01 so I should be already changed to the 10% fee, but on this last report I still see the 20% fee is gonna be charged. Any idea why? Please any mod that can help me. TIA!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths