Mark K Member Since: Jul 7, 2016
21 of 36

at risk of upsetting your ulcers...this one just posted:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Guru
22 of 36

ERRRRRRRR  wait,

This has been marked as "Solved" --- so maybe I dont keep reporting these fraud offenses --

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
23 of 36

Mark and others,

I'd like to confirm that the jobs Mark and Mary referred to on this thread have been reviewed and actions have been taken.

I'd also, like to remind everybody that it's best to report jobs with violations by flagging them. You can also report them by submitting a ticket or sending a link to one of the moderators in a private message. That way you'll avoid posting identifying information publicly in the Community and violating our Community Guidelines.

I would also like to clarify that Renata's post was accepted as a solution. I have since removed the solution from her post as Mark noted that it was done by mistake.

Thanks.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
24 of 36

Valeria K wrote:

Mark and others,

We definitely understand your frustration. Upwork has millions of registered users and thousands of projects are posted daily on our platform.  As such, despite the many tools we have in place to detect jobs with violations, some users find a way to circumvent our efforts. Still, we don't take this issue lightly and job posts are removed as soon as the team becomes aware of them and confirms a violation.

Flagging a job post and adding details in the provided box or submitting a support ticket is the best way to report a violation and notify our Marketplace Quality team directly and privately. We really appreciate user's flagging jobs with violations and helping us with improving the quality of the marketplace. 

I will also forward the concerns and observations shared on this thread to the team.

Thanks!

If Upwork conducted just a basic verification of the clients they allow onto this site, it would do a lot to weed out these totally unethical essay mills and students who insist that they are not getting essays written for course work, and who are either believed or condoned by some CS team members. 

I have just this minute watched an item on the BBC news about how concerned academics (anyway in UK) are about this plague of cheating and how the essay mills are targeting students at school and at university level. Not only that, some students who have used them, are now being blackmailed for having done so.

If Upwork goes on encouraging these people they will be contributing to future misery, and generations of lazy, self-indulgent and half-educated people with an extraordinary sense of entitlement, who think they can make their way in the world by cheating and bucking the system.

It is truly depressing, but I have stopped flagging blatant academic cheating or those freelancers who do not see anything wrong in making money by cheating academic bodies and impoverishing a student, on every level, at the same time. 

Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
25 of 36

You tell 'em, Nichola!!! Amen, Sister!

Community Guru
26 of 36

If I could have stated it like that Nichola -- I would have. Kudos. 

Community Guru
27 of 36

Out of Curiosity -- I searched for "Homework" --- and found several recent postings of what "appears" to be academic fraud.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
BEST ANSWER
28 of 36

I vote for adding another flagging option. It could go something like this:

"Your job has been flagged for possible academic fraud. If it isn't, pardon our mistake. If it is, you've been reported to your school. Run, run like the wind.

Funny! This was chosen as a (not "the") solution? Does that mean we'll see this flag option in the near future ... how exciting. Maybe now I'll get a mug.

And I do hope Upwork is kicking off the "freelancers" who are applying to these jobs. They're every bit as guilty.

Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
29 of 36

Adding Virginia to the Amen Corner!

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
30 of 36

"Adding Virginia to the Amen Corner!" 

Amen and Hallelujah - a second time.  Kudos to both Nichola and Virginia.  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS