🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » A Challenge To The Experienced Upworkers Who ...
Page options
bizwriterjohn
Community Member

A Challenge To The Experienced Upworkers Who Populate this Platform.

I have started my 1:1 mentorship of a new Upworker.  Whom I am doing with this, does not matter.  That I am, does.

I issue a challenge to the experienced Upworkers.  To start: responses and threads on this Forum has value. That is not the point.  

Who among you, will devote the time to locate a new Upworker.  Personally introduce yourself.  Gain their trust and take communication 1:1.  The specifically share your knowledge, your skill sets, your experiences.  Then get into the trenches.
- Make sure their profile is optimized according to your experiences of success with yours
- Make sure their portfolio is strong according to your experiences of success with yours
- Help them craft better letters of application.
- And make it your mission to build up this newcomer into a potent Upwork consultant,.

Who among you will add to this pleasant experience of shooting bullets of advice across the wires and bring your 16" cannons of success into focus for one, specific, good-hearted, struggling new comer.

Impress me.  Try it, succeed, and be back here next year with the confidence to do it again.  Show me something special.  Show me you have truly mastered your Upwork profession.  Because most surely the measure is not one's own capability in such.  It is measured by the capability to produce success in others.

I admire 1047 posts.  A true gifting of time.  Try the next level up.
Produce one newcomer superstar.

Challenge issued.
John.
Upworker.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Already done it, mate. I have helped people and am happy to advise/guide people that I feel are genuine. I will always answer emails or other messages asking for advice from my contacts. One person directly credits me for helping him to leave the job he hated and pursue something he loves.

I just don't feel the need to brag about it. I don't do it to garner attention. Just knowing that I helped is enough to give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. 

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
lysis10
Community Member

d9e

tlsanders
Community Member

John, I can see that you're feeling good about your work with newcomers, and you should (as long as you're careful to ensure that the advice you offer is tailored to their situations and does not presume that their experiences will parallel your own).

But, you seem to have fallen victim to a common phenomenon in which people who begin engaging in something positive think they have discovered it. Don't assume that because people choose to offer one-on-one assistance without declaring it in a public forum, it isn't happening. Those of us who answer questions in forums like this one, on Quora, in freelancing subs on Reddit (and so on, and so on, and so on) are contacted for help constantly.

I don't know the specifics for other regular posters here (though I do know that many provide behind-the-scenes help on a regular basis), but I have one-on-one mentored dozens of new freelancers (mostly writers, but not exclusively) in addition to regularly answering one-off questions in private messaging and via email. The type of assistance you speak of is much more common than you think.

mrarpitjain
Community Member

Alright, So .... 

I'm a newcomer

and who's up for a 1:1 assistance/consultation with me ?

Waiting patiently.

Arpit

John B wrote:

Count me in.  I aim for two per year.  I was waiting for the first person with the humbleness and moxie to position themselves for mentorship.  Now I must earn the right.  I'd like you to meet Dr. Herin Shah, my past mentoree.  Surat.  He has just knocked it out of the part in 2019.

Please send me private email.  
- We will start with a conference call by Zoom
- IST is 11.5 hours ahead.   My 9pm is your 830am.  I keep India hours for many reasons
- We will investigate your profile, your portfolio, your response tactics
- Then take it from there.
- Over time, a colleague-based relationship will form.

Dr. Shah's spoken business English was weak.  That is the #1 reason international consultants do not get work, other than U.S. only job listings.  There are tactics to deal with this.  Partner with a U.S. based resource for joint delivery is the answer to that one.

To return to Dr. Shah.  His spoken English was weak.  I threw enough holy fits over this, the young man elected to take night time English classes, five nights a week, six weeks, to train himself.

That young Upworker just finished a $1000 project creating a PPT that is currently sitting on the desk of the CEO of a top-three Social Media company.   He had a partner in the U,.S. to jointly pursue work and he had the English to pull it off independently.

We will start there.  Can you communicate U.S business English class.  That's one buy in.

And as allies, we will take it from there.

--------------------------------------------------------------
I will disregard the person who said 'pay my hourly rate....'.   Please join me in that disregard.  There  is one cost of my mentorship.

You pass it on, to another, when the time comes.

Private email -- please send me one.  And we will take it from there, young man.

OMG!

An evangelist ... and one who does not know the meaning of "humble". 

Talented and hardworking mentor.

Will you adopt a new comer, and personally mentor them? Yes or no.

John B wrote:
Talented and hardworking mentor.

Will you adopt a new comer, and personally mentor them? Yes or no.

Why don't you just pack up your tent, stow your bible, and keep concentrating on what you can do? Your challenge is not to us but to one other who seems to be coining it in "mentoring" unwary freelancers.

Those of us who have successfully helped other newcomers do not, as I have already said, boast about it. 

I just completed my first one-hour conference call with my first 2019
mentoree.
To being: his newly constructued bio has worked. He just got his first
invitation ever. How many have you received today. This past week.

We are continuing the reconstruction, including adding seven projects.

On Thursday, in a Zoom conference call - we will practice his first
introduction call, so he is prepared for his first interview on Friday.

Immediately, tangible, success. Today. First day. It's real.

Hey,

I'll send you a PM 🙂

Let's see how it goes 

Warm Regards,

Arpit

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

John B wrote:

Impress me.  Try it, succeed, and be back here next year with the confidence to do it again.  Show me something special.  Show me you have truly mastered your Upwork profession.  

John, I already do plenty of volunteer and pro bono jobs and have helped numerous people obtain meaningful work - I don't need to impress YOU or show YOU "something special." You may mean well, but you just come across as arrogant and boastful.

Seems like a reasonable note.

It is unclear, then, why this writing impacted you. If I say,

"Try being blue, because blue is good to be. Impress me. Try to achieve
being blue." --- And you are already blue. It does not apply.

We all communicate in our ways. Join me in yours. Issue a suggestion,
gentle reminder, pointers on what you do, a wish-for-better: that
challenges those who do not do this, to do this.

We all communicate in our personal ways. Perhaps your way of doing it
might help me see a better way to communicate the same position. Blues can
help blues, as it turns out.

Fair point; here's my two cents.

I have started my 1:1 mentorship of a new Upworker.  Whom I am doing with this, does not matter.  That I am, does.

I know that many of you already provide help and advice to your fellow Upworkers. For those of you who haven’t yet considered doing so, and who have the time and experience to provide assistance, I have some suggestions about how you can help: issue a challenge to the experienced Upworkers.  To start: responses and threads on this Forum has value. That is not the point.  

Who among you, will devote the time to locate a new Upworker.  Personally introduce yourself.  Gain their trust and take communication 1:1.  The specifically share your knowledge, your skill sets, your experiences.  Then get into the trenches.

- Make sure their profile is optimized according to your experiences of success with yours

- Make sure their portfolio is strong according to your experiences of success with yours

- And make it your mission to build up this newcomer into a potent Upwork consultant.

- Offer advice on improving their profiles and portfolios.

- Help them craft better letters of application.

- Listen to their problems and offer support, particularly if they’re dealing with a difficult client or situation.

Who among you will add to this pleasant experience of shooting bullets of advice across the wires and bring your 16" cannons of success into focus for one, specific, good-hearted, struggling new comer.

Impress me.  Try it, succeed, and be back here next year with the confidence to do it again.  Show me something special.  Show me you have truly mastered your Upwork profession.  Because most surely the measure is not one's own capability in such.  It is measured by the capability to produce success in others.

I admire 1047 posts.  A true gifting of time.  Try the next level up. Produce one newcomer superstar.

Challenge issued.
John.
Upworker.

Pay me my hourly rate, and I will provide 1:1 mentoring to anyone.

John B wrote:
Seems like a reasonable note.

It is unclear, then, why this writing impacted you. If I say,

"Try being blue, because blue is good to be. Impress me. Try to achieve
being blue." --- And you are already blue. It does not apply.

We all communicate in our ways. Join me in yours. Issue a suggestion,
gentle reminder, pointers on what you do, a wish-for-better: that
challenges those who do not do this, to do this.

We all communicate in our personal ways. Perhaps your way of doing it
might help me see a better way to communicate the same position. Blues can
help blues, as it turns out.

I really fail to see why you have to "challenge" any of us. Many of us have helped newcomers (with the exception of Preston - though I'm sure  he has too).

Most of us don't think it necessary to boast about it. Why should we? 

Because boasting about this was sure to provide the spark that ensured this
blog rose to the top of dialog and discussion.

I used a simple social media tactic to ensure my blog thread was seen and
commented on. More visibility and your efforts brought me my second
mentoree for othe year.

LOL. Preston you are a scream. 1054 replies and a zillion problem
solved. Guy, you work hard to contribute and you know it. That one was
funny.

---------
Okay. The blog captured dialog. That's all I needed to accomplish and
maybe one head was turned, one mind was impacted and even if not. Exactly
what I expected to happen, happened.

People came forward and now, perhaps, more will consider doing it with end
points in mind.
John.

John B wrote:
Because boasting about this was sure to provide the spark that ensured this
blog rose to the top of dialog and discussion.

I used a simple social media tactic to ensure my blog thread was seen and
commented on. More visibility and your efforts brought me my second
mentoree for othe year.

LOL. Preston you are a scream. 1054 replies and a zillion problem
solved. Guy, you work hard to contribute and you know it. That one was
funny.

---------
Okay. The blog captured dialog. That's all I needed to accomplish and
maybe one head was turned, one mind was impacted and even if not. Exactly
what I expected to happen, happened.

People came forward and now, perhaps, more will consider doing it with end
points in mind.
John.

Well I would congratulate you, John, but it sounds like you've already got that covered.

Many of us do that day in day out, and have done for years, without feeling the need to boast about it and to jump up and down thumping our chest and making fantastically exaggerated untrue claims.

You may want to take a long, hard look as to why you feel this evidently unquenchable need to solicit pats on the back...

Already done it, mate. I have helped people and am happy to advise/guide people that I feel are genuine. I will always answer emails or other messages asking for advice from my contacts. One person directly credits me for helping him to leave the job he hated and pursue something he loves.

I just don't feel the need to brag about it. I don't do it to garner attention. Just knowing that I helped is enough to give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. 

Already done it, mate. I have helped people and am happy to advise/guide
people that I feel are genuine.
- Wonderful

I will always answer emails or other messages asking for advice from my
contacts.
- Wonderful

One person directly credits me for helping him to leave the job he hated
and pursue something he loves.
- Spectacular

I just don't feel the need to brag about it. I don't do it to garner
attention. Just knowing that I helped is enough to give me that warm and
fuzzies.
- Necessary. Now, at least four people have come forward, indicating their
contributions of sorts in this realm.

Now, all have seen there are at least five of us who directly contribute to
the careers, and beyond the value-add postings on this Forum.

Now, more can sit still for a while and ponder. Why others do this, and
they do not.

Heavy handed email. It generated the traffic I wanted. It generated the
stir that was necessary. The recognition of the opportunity, the body of
consultants who are doing this.

Brilliant outcome. I am taking some poundings for it. Better me than
others. I have an industry-hardened personality that is impervious to such.
Confidence.

Great response! I challenge others to meet your marks of success.
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi All,

We appreciate the discussion. Over the years Upwork Community has been an invaluable resource for many freelancers who are new to the platform and it's great to see posts that highlight the contribution of many Community members.

That said, I'd like to remind everybody here to keep the discussion professional and within the Community Guidelines. Please, note that sharing private information, personal attacks based on a user's English, lack of knowledge, experience of Upwork platform as well as promoting any products or services isn't allowed on these boards. A few posts have been removed from this thread.

Thanks!

Edited to add: this thread has been closed from further replies.

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths