🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » A Client Asked for Revisions & Canceled the C...
Page options
874d12b1
Community Member

A Client Asked for Revisions & Canceled the Contract Saying 'I am the Boss'! 🚩

I NEED HELP!

I was this close to Becoming Top Rated and a Bad Client occurred!

The client asked me to Create Pinterest Ads Hooks - 30 in a Day... I delivered the 30 hooks as per Pinterest ads examples shared by the client. But right AFTER delivery, the client sent clear instructions on how I was supposed to do these.

When I asked why didn't you provide these clear instructions before, the client said he wanted to test me!

(So in a way, he was trying to TEST ME FOR FREE!!! )

The client then asked for Revisions as Per New Instructions and said they'll send more feedback within 24 hours as well. They didn't...

After 24 hours of not getting instructions, I Revised as Per the Instructions and delivered an Amazing Copy!

The Client argued that I shouldn't have revised until I had gotten that detailed feedback from them - which is fair - but I told them that I am Open to Revisions Without Any Costs! (and that I waited for their feedback for 24 hours but they didn't and that's why I as per previous instructions)

Without Reviewing the New Copy - They Canceled the Contract!  Reason? 'They mentioned I am the Boss Around Here, and I am Firing You!

Now, I want someone to please answer:

1- Will it affect my JSS? 

2- Will the client be able to provide Private or Public feedback?

3- I have their amount in Escrow - should I release it? Or should I open a dispute?

PS: I am confident that my copy was great, and the client has a bad attitude here. In fact, the client actually TRIED TO TEST ME FOR FREE. I am certain this is against Upwork's policy.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Ahmad N wrote:

In fact, the client actually TRIED TO TEST ME FOR FREE. I am certain this is against Upwork's policy.

The client never asked you to do a free test, and when they asked for revisions, did you tell them that it would cost extra? No - you told them that you were open to providing revisions for free. There's no terms of service violation here.

As for releasing the escrow payment, did you already submit the work? If so, your payment will be released in 14 days. The client will have already left you feedback when they closed the contract, and yes, it could affect your JSS, especially since you only have three reviews. Giving a refund won't change anything, but you should see how bad the public feedback is before making a decision.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
prestonhunter
Community Member

You're doing it wrong,

This is not an effective way to use Upwork.

You should ONLY ACCEPT HOURLY CONTRACTS until you have studied fixed-price contracts and read more about the topic in the Forum and planned effective strategies for avoiding problems like this.

Basic strategy that will help you:

Never blame the client.

Always blame yourself.

Because you can't control what clients do, but you CAN control what you do.

874d12b1
Community Member

I have studied Fixed-Price contracts, Preston. And I always try to avoid such problems. This client has spent 80k+ on Upwork but their last few reviews were bad (which hadn't affected their overall rating).

Maybe the client has recently turned to this scam-mindset...

If the client has multiple users with access to the Upwork account, it is possible that somebody new was granted access and they are the person that you and other freelancers had the misfortune of dealing with.

Exactly! Perhaps this is the reason they blocked me on Upwork as well right after ending the contract.

I always get on zoom with clients before taking work, and when I personally spoke with the main guy, he was actually a nice person and I was hoping for a long-term professional relationship with him.

It's his Managers who fired me and remained rude throughout. I never work with disrespectful people. 

bobafett999
Community Member

The problem I see is that you kept on doing stuff and finishing the task without any input from the buyer.  Why did you do all 30? Couldn't you have done few and waited for a feedback?

Yes, Prashant. I always try to follow the same practice to remain on the same page with my clients. But this client had a rude manager who, upon asking a few questions, replied that I had 24 hours to do the task, and they didn't want to waste time answering queries. I sensed it as a red flag there but had already made the mistake of accepting work and now I had to just hope for the best.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Ahmad N wrote:

In fact, the client actually TRIED TO TEST ME FOR FREE. I am certain this is against Upwork's policy.

The client never asked you to do a free test, and when they asked for revisions, did you tell them that it would cost extra? No - you told them that you were open to providing revisions for free. There's no terms of service violation here.

As for releasing the escrow payment, did you already submit the work? If so, your payment will be released in 14 days. The client will have already left you feedback when they closed the contract, and yes, it could affect your JSS, especially since you only have three reviews. Giving a refund won't change anything, but you should see how bad the public feedback is before making a decision.

Thank you, Christine!

Yes, although the client never asked directly to take a free test, they mentioned that it was a test after the first delivery.  Thank you for providing clarity about JSS! 

Well, no, not really - it sounds like they wanted to see what you would come up with on your own, then they didn't like it and decided that you needed further instructions.  Anyway, the escrow was funded and you'd been hired, so it wasn't a free test. Then you jumped the gun and got it wrong again, even though they told you to wait for further instructions. It kind of sounds to me like you're convinced that your work is amazing, and took offense when the client didn't like it. I think it would be a mistake for you to put all the blame on the client and not acknowledge that you could have handled this differently; that's the only way that you can learn how to work with "difficult" clients and get out of these situations more gracefully in the future.

abhimanyu-bind
Community Member

If the contract was cancelled, no public feedback will appear but yes client would get an option to give personal feedback, and yes certainly it can impact JSS until you decide to file a dispute and win it!

If you are sure about the quality of work you provided and it was as per the client's initial instructions, then you deserve to be paid for that, so, you should file a dispute, don't let them go by wasting your precious time, not providing clear instructions and requirement before delivery is their fault.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members