🐈 Community

A Client Just Tried To Scam Me

Hey fam,

Wow, for the first time in my freelancing career here on Upwork, someone tried to play me! Here's the story in short:

A client contacts me two months after I sent the proposal. She then asks for samples, I provide them and after exchanging a few messages regarding the article, things kick off. That's when it all went downhill, fast.

I managed to send the finished product before the deadline and it all seemed okay. Then, two weeks passed and without any action on her behalf, Upwork automatically released payment. I still tried messaging her, but there was no response.

Now, after almost an entire month, this "client" messages me that she's disappointed with my work and would file a dispute for a refund. "Oh, but this guy obviously sucks at writing" you might say, but the truth is actually entirely different! Here's why:

- I went over to the blog section of the site that she represents and oh my, there are no publish dates on the articles (hmm, wonder why?)

- However, being a sneaky **bleep** I Google the URL of the article that I wrote for them (because it was already published on their site) and surprise, surprise, it was published on June the 20th, one day after I sent her the file!!!

- Now, since she claimed that my work sucked and that it needed "a lot of modifications", I decided to put my original article and the one they published through CopyLeaks (a text checker tool)

- And voila, it turns out that they're 96% identical, only a few words were changed and she dares to tell me that it needed a lot of corrections and what not???

I just closed the contract myself after messaging her, explaining why I'm the one that should be disappointed in this rather unfruitful cooperation.

So, what do you guys think - is it a common practice for clients to try and grab articles for free while relying on inexperienced freelancers or just people who are afraid of words like "dispute", "refund", "disappointed" etc.?

Cheers,

-- Simon

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r

Simon, take timestamped screenshots of EVERYTHING - the published articles, the whatsit saying 96% the same and what wasn't the same etc.

The client CAN still file a dispute, but if you have your ducks in a row you can defend that.

You are top rated, if she leaves you horrible feedback you can use your top rated perk to remove it provided you haven't used it in the last 3 months AND last 10 contracts.

tta192

When closing the contract you can leave all these details as a comment with your feedback to warn others not to work with them.

bobafett999

@Simon S wrote:

So, what do you guys think - is it a common practice for clients to try and grab articles for free while relying on inexperienced freelancers or just people who are afraid of words like "dispute", "refund", "disappointed" etc.?

Cheers,

-- Simon

Yes.  May be not widespread, but it happens a lot.

Another thing you may want to do is to send "take down Notice" to the host of her website.  They take copyright stuff very seriously.  You can get free form from internet.  It is very easy.

@Prashant P wrote:

Another thing you may want to do is to send "take down Notice" to the host of her website.  They take copyright stuff very seriously.  You can get free form from internet.  It is very easy.

At this point he has been paid for the work in full.

There is no reason for a takedown notice.

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions and the replies - I appreciate it.

The Top Rated perk is pretty cool indeed because clients like this can really hurt one's JSS pretty badly, just because they can.

Cheers,

-- Simon

that's pathetic and terrible.