Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Client experience

Community Guru
Karin S Member Since: Dec 6, 2009
1 of 21

Hi,

I know..this is not a new dilemma or question.But have to talk about it..

I have been sort of low few days due to a client contact I had.

I was asked, together with 3 others she said, to send in a sample sketch for the illustration the client wanted.

I Told, I dont do free mockups. Its against the rules, and also personally I find it very frustrating. If you are an artist, illustrator, you are often expected to work for free...( Does people ask for free hours at the Doctors office, hair dresser..etc. )

She told me the others had sent a sketch and mockup. I said no again.

Flaged the project and Upwork closed it due to asking for free samples.

Then..I had the most awful message from the client. In fact the ugliest I ever had as a freelancer. About how bad I am to interract with clients and how "far" that would take me. Also about me reporting to Upwork and so very KIND of you..etc etc.

What disturbes me is that some freelancers does the free mockups and the expectation for them goes on.

Why cant you do it when 3 others did..? And to make me to someone who did something wrong. When trying to do the right....

Just my experience the last week. 

I have many great cients too. But this made such a bad taste....

Karin

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 21

Karin, I completely understand, I think it is almost inevitable to run into a client like that once in a while.

You did the right thing, and she is just lashing out now because she got her wrist slapped. I would suggest that you ignore her and do not engage further with her.

If the message was really ugly send it to Support, let them deal with it.

You mention all the great clients you have / had! Concentrate on those, and be grateful she did NOT hire you, it sounds like you had a lucky escape, as she would have done much more damage had you ended up working with her...

This way you were spared working with someonewho does not respect the time of a professional,anddoes not deal well with issues. NOT getting the contract saved you a lot of grief and stress, and you could look at the message she sent you as confirmation that she needed tobe reported!

Hugs to you, the next one will be GREAT Smiley Happy

Have a nice week, don't look back; you're not going that way!

-

Community Guru
3 of 21

Thanks so much Petra for your warm and uplifting reply !

You helped me today. Thanks Heart

Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
4 of 21

Sorry you went through that Karin.

There's always a jerk in every type of situation and that's not cool that the client sent you a nasty message. I hope you did take it to CS. 

I'm kind of astonished though that the client knew you had flagged the job. I would have thought this was an anonymous action. If it's not, then whenever I flag something clients know I'm doing it? That's not cool. 

I'd like clarification from the mods if this is indeed the case. 

Kudos on sticking to your guns with the client!!! Smiley Happy 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 21

Karin is the hero of the day.

The client who asked for free work is a problem. I don't think she ever intended to pay anybody for anything.

But the BIGGER problem is the three contractors who agreed to provide free work.

CONTRACTORS (not clients) are the people who are supposed to be the experts in how Upwork works. It is up to all of us to ensure that the rules are enforced fairly and consistently.

The three artists who provided free work are the kind of people who undermine the entire system.

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
6 of 21

"But the BIGGER problem is the three contractors who agreed to provide free work."

Exactly. It's fine to de-list jobs that ask for free work, but any contractors who provide it should be terminated. Or at least have their accounts closed.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
7 of 21

Exactly Preston. Agree with you.

I think that is something Upwork has to do more about and look in to.

I dont know how common it is. I was surprised really this time. And I doubt the client would ever pay or awarded anyone really.

Community Guru
8 of 21

Thanks for your reply Mariska !

Yes, I was surprised too the client knew it was me ! That is not OK really.

Thanks again for your support Heart

Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
9 of 21

Thanks for your reply Karin! 

I needed that Heart to pick me up off the floor after I was... well... told I'm not an Einstein... *SOB* *the HUMANITY!!!!**

Woman Wink

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 21

Mariska, I am so sorry!

@Mariska P wrote:

Thanks for your reply Karin! 

I needed that Heart to pick me up off the floor after I was... well... told I'm not an Einstein... *SOB* *the HUMANITY!!!!**

Woman Wink

I didn't mean you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woman Very Happy at ALL !

I meant that the client in question would not have to have mental superpowers to figure out who reported her!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS