Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Client experience

Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
11 of 21

Petra,

No harm done. It's funny now. Smiley Wink 

It's a valuable lesson for me actually. Whether I remember it or not...that's up in the air. I sometimes write things that can be taken the wrong way so this is my wake up call.

Thanks. Smiley Happy 

I do like self-depreaction though, and you've reminded me of one of the classics which I will run with for as long as I can! Woman WinkWoman LOL

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 21

Mariska P wrote:

I'm kind of astonished though that the client knew you had flagged the job. I would have thought this was an anonymous action. If it's not, then whenever I flag something clients know I'm doing it? That's not cool. 

I'd like clarification from the mods if this is indeed the case. 

Kudos on sticking to your guns with the client!!! Smiley Happy 

**edited for Community Guidelines**

The client asked 4 people to do a free sample,3 jumped at the chance to work for free like eager puppies at a tennis ball, one told the client it was against the rules.

Straight after Upwork contact the client about it.

So unless the client is has the intelligence of a can of catfood she will have known who reported her.

A client is never told who flagged them, but they can sometimes figure out who reported them all by themselves.

I reported a client for trying to make me accept payment outside Upwork, then ended the contract. I just KNOW that the client will know who did it, and what will happen to my JSS on the next update.

I have another to report but will play it smart this time and wait until feedback has been left....

Community Guru
Karin S Member Since: Dec 6, 2009
13 of 21

Yes, the client would of course understand it was me who reported...when I protested when asked to provide a free mockup. 

If all of us here could work with that motto, to not provide the free samples / mockups..It would be so much easier !

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
18 of 21

Let me repeat something here that we already know...

No matter how outrageous and inappropriate a client's behavior is, we need to be absolutely, completely polite and professional.

Even if the client asks for something completely against Upwork rules, we should be polite.

If asked to do free work, rather than just saying "no", we could offer an alternative:

"Jane,

Thanks for our request. I would like to help out with this. The Upwork platform is quite strict about not allowing contractors to do free work, and I wouldn't want to do anything that would cause trouble for either of us. But what I can do is refer you here to some portfolio items that demonstrate the kind of art pieces you're asking for.

Also, I would be happy to create a sample image if you send the Hire button so we have an official Upwork contract in place. This should only take me about 15 minutes, so the cost would be minimal, and this would give you complete ownership of the sample image I create. Because you paid for it, I wouldn't retain any ownership over it and I wouldn't be able to provide this to anybody else. You will own the copyright and can use the graphic in any way you want."

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
18 of 21

I think Preston should write all the standard responses for every conceivable situation!!!

Now there's an idea...

We could start a thread with really helpful standard responses to some of the things we are asked to doby clients....

like...

How to turn down a job offer that works out at a fraction of your rate etc

How to explain that extra work needs extra pay

How to explain that thereis no such thing as "it'll only take you a minute"

and so on

?

Community Guru
18 of 21

I would wish as well that Upwork looks in  to this more. If they close a project which is flaged like this.

And..some freelancers seems to send in their samples...If it is against the policy here, Upwork should go in and also remind this people that they do something completly unfair and wrong towards fellow freelancers.

it makes me very annoyed that some are so eager to have the project and just do anything to go outside the rules.

Community Guru
21 of 21

Sounds like an idea Preston Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
18 of 21

@Karin S wrote:

....some freelancers seems to send in their samples...If it is against the policy here, Upwork should go in and also remind this people that they do something completly unfair and wrong towards fellow freelancers.

it makes me very annoyed that some are so eager to have the project and just do anything to go outside the rules. 

Karin,

I have the impression that Upwork forbids prospective or contracted clients from asking for free work, and does not bar contractors from providing it. That leaves it up to us—absurdly—to make the argument that such providers are not just giving away their stores, but ours.

Best,

Michael

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
19 of 21

No need to waste Preston's time, I can write the responses.

How to turn down a job offer that works out at a fraction of your rate etc:

"Not a chance, but my cat might do it for that price."

How to explain that extra work needs extra pay:

"You might think I look like an idiot, but I think you'll find you're standing in front of the mirror."

How to explain that thereis no such thing as "it'll only take you a minute":

"If you're such a bloody expert why don't you do it yourself?"

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
20 of 21

@Petra R wrote:

I think Preston should write all the standard responses for every conceivable situation!!!

Now there's an idea...

We could start a thread with really helpful standard responses to some of the things we are asked to doby clients....

like...

How to turn down a job offer that works out at a fraction of your rate etc

<snip>

An excellent idea.  The only problem would be keeping it visible. If you have an idea on how to resolve THAT little problem, I'd be happy to be a contributer to said thread.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS