cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: A Client's Response To My Proposal

Veronica P Member Since: May 27, 2018
1 of 18

Hello Top Raters.  Are you experiencing this challenge?

In response to my proposal, the client said that I am qualified but that he prefers to hire freelancers from countries with lower living costs.

This is not the first time that I have received this comment from a client.

Do you know what Upwork is doing to help Freelancers like me who are facing this challenge?

See the attached response.

Thanks,

Veronica

**Edited for community guidelines**

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
2 of 18

Veronica P wrote:

In response to my proposal, the client said that I am qualified but that he prefers to hire freelancers from countries with lower living costs.

That client is clearly fishing for you to drop your price. Move on. You want to filter clients carefully, look at their previous contracts etc.

Veronica P wrote:

Do you know what Upwork is doing to help Freelancers like me who are facing this challenge?

To be brutally honest: Nothing. You need help yourself.

There are clients who are seeking freelancers with your credentials and know that they won't find that from cheap freelancers. You don't compete with the $ 5 an hour people, the clients who hire them are not your market and the clients who hire you are out of reach to them.

This is a global marketplace, identify your corner of that market and sell to them.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 18
What Upwork *could* do is replace the fairly meaningless $ $$ $$$ designation on job posts with a target hourly rate, but that’s not likely to happen. In the meantime, avoid jobs specifying entry-level $ and make sure the client’s average hourly rate paid is in line with your rate.
4 of 18

John K wrote:
What Upwork *could* do is replace the fairly meaningless $ $$ $$$ designation on job posts with a target hourly rate, but that’s not likely to happen. In the meantime, avoid jobs specifying entry-level $ and make sure the client’s average hourly rate paid is in line with your rate.

John ... ever the optimist.

5 of 18

Thanks John.

Your quote made me smile.

Hope you are having a good day.

Veronica.

6 of 18

Thanks Petra.

I appreciate your perspective.

Veronica.

Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
7 of 18

Veronica P wrote:

Hi Veronica, 

I don't consider this a challenge. It's a test of my filtering abilities and rapid assessment skills. There are a lot of "startup founders" on this site who lack some key criteria for establishing successful businesses such as a) a business plan and b) sufficient startup funds to realistically launch their endeavor. You learn to spot them really quickly because most if not all of their client history is often viewable on the client page. Although there is no way to really predict client behavior, if they don't have a history of paying rates that are comparable to yours, chances are they're not likely to want to start doing that with you. That can help you decide whether or not you want to send them a proposal. 

I'm not here to educate them, so when I find out what they're really offering me (a chance to subsidize their fledgling enterprises through the gift my underpaid labor), I just say no. That saves time and clears my slate for clients who have a realistic idea of how much things cost and who value what I have to offer enough to pay a decent rate for it. 

8 of 18

Thanks Renata.

This is certainly 1 way of looking at it. 

Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Veronica.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Jason S Member Since: Apr 27, 2018
9 of 18

@renata101 wrote:

Veronica P wrote:

Hi Veronica, 

I don't consider this a challenge. It's a test of my filtering abilities and rapid assessment skills...

when I find out what they're really offering me ... I just say no. That saves time and clears my slate for clients who have a realistic idea of how much things cost and who value what I have to offer enough to pay a decent rate for it. 

These skills are unfortunately going to need more honing soon, as with the new charges, we're going to need to read all of that before submitting a connect, so as to save time, frustration, and actual $$$

We are going to need to do a lot better at reading between the lines for clients who don't list an actual rate/amount they are willing to pay/for how much work.

Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
10 of 18

The problem is that most people have no idea what your work is worth. I was offered a permanent job as technical writer in the oil and gas industrie two weeks ago. My husband was getting extremly excited still not convinced I am earning enough. They offered the same rate as for document controllers which are usually untrained people. I told them if they double the rate and we could start discussing. My last job as techical writer was just correcting poor language used by people writing "Scandinavian English" no articles at all. And since everything has to be done in Word one click blows up a 150 page document due to poor formatting.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS