Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Client's Response To My Proposal

Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
11 of 18

Jennifer R wrote:

The problem is that most people have no idea what your work is worth. I was offered a permanent job as technical writer in the oil and gas industrie two weeks ago. My husband was getting extremly excited still not convinced I am earning enough. They offered the same rate as for document controllers which are usually untrained people. I told them if they double the rate and we could start discussing. My last job as techical writer was just correcting poor language used by people writing "Scandinavian English" no articles at all. And since everything has to be done in Word one click blows up a 150 page document due to poor formatting.

You would not believe the number of people who think that $1 per page is a standard rate for proofreading, even technical proofreading (and even technical proofreading in highly specialized disciplines). As far as I'm aware, this hasn't been a standard rate since at least the 1980s. Yet this is a firmly entrenched number that people seem unwilling to update. 

Veronica P Member Since: May 27, 2018
12 of 18

Thanks for your input, Jennifer. I hear you.

Veronica.

Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
13 of 18

Veronica P wrote:

Hello Top Raters.  Are you experiencing this challenge?

In response to my proposal, the client said that I am qualified but that he prefers to hire freelancers from countries with lower living costs.

This is not the first time that I have received this comment from a client.

Do you know what Upwork is doing to help Freelancers like me who are facing this challenge?

See the attached response.

Thanks,

Veronica

**Edited for community guidelines**

I've actually never had a client say this, but if she did, I would respond, "I completely understand. Thanks so very much for having considered me for this project." 

I'm not going to haggle with someone who claims she'd hire me if only I lived somewhere else. She took enough time out of her day to respond when she didn't have to, and to give me these details (which I can't change - I'm not moving to a new country to get this person's $200 project). What a silly way to attempt to get a freelancer to drop his/her price. 

I'd be movin' on. Smiley Very Happy

14 of 18

Hi Melamie,

Yes, I agree. I sent a very nice response to which he responded and included a smiley face in his response. (strange)

Community Leader
Michelle S Member Since: Jun 23, 2017
15 of 18

I've had people send me invites and then tell me they could not afford my hourly rate even though they believed I was the best person for the job.  I had students ask me to drop my rate because they are poor.  I just tell them that my rate is firm. 

Ace Contributor
Jason S Member Since: Apr 27, 2018
16 of 18

@msublette wrote:

I've had people send me invites and then tell me they could not afford my hourly rate even though they believed I was the best person for the job.  I had students ask me to drop my rate because they are poor.  I just tell them that my rate is firm. 

Of course you're the best person for the job!  That's why  your rate is high.  If they want quality, they gotsta pay!

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
17 of 18

I agree he was trying to be clever to get you to lower your rate. This is when you can have fun and not just burn the bridge, but throw some gasoline on it and take a blowtorch to it.

Just say "wow, I'm so glad you said I'm qualified because I wasn't sure. I just wasnt' sure because of the words and my proposal I thought maybe I was wrong but you say I'm right and I'm qualified and wow I am so glad you clarified that part."

18 of 18

LMAO Jennifer!!!

You are quite fiery. :-)

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS