🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: A Milestone on a fixed priced
Page options
hesseboom
Community Member

A Milestone on a fixed priced

Hi, I applied to a job description to translate a 4 page document. The request of the client was to have it done on the same day before 11PM. I delivered the pages around 8PM. In this doing so, I believe that I´ve served this client well. The fixed price agreement was $28. But the client made a milestone of $5 to start and the rest to be paid after verfication. Now days later there is no communication at all with this client.  

I feel mistreated in a sense because the translation was about a serious legal paper that was surely not worthed $5. Next I have been checking the profile of this client and it seems that there is a list of freelancers of last month and new ones have added for the month of March. The payment of some is also $5. I´m bringing this issue up, so this can be checked out by Upwork. 

Thank you for your help. 

5 REPLIES 5
wescowley
Community Member

You've been had.

If the funded milestone was for $5, that's what you're going to get. Always make sure the milestone is fully funded for what you expect to be paid for what you're delivering on that milestone before you start work. The escrow system exists to handle the "payment after verification" bit.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "The fixed price agreement was $28."

That doesn't count.

re: "But the client made a milestone of $5"

Yes, that is what matters.

This was a contract for $5.00

re: "...to start and the rest to be paid after verfication."

Well, that's not how escrow works.

Technically speaking, the client is ALLOWED to pay you more money, but that would be between you and the client. This basically means the client is on the "honor system" to pay yoyu an additional $23.

re: "Now days later there is no communication at all with this client."

Yeah, this is over.

re: "I feel mistreated in a sense because the translation was about a serious legal paper that was surely not worthed $5."

Hmmm... Don't feel mistreated. If you feel mistreated, you are giving somebody else power over you. INSTEAD: Realize that you made a mistake. You didn't understand how to use Upwork properly. This is much better than "feeling mistreated," because it means YOU have the power to do things differently. You can decide to use the tool as intended, which means, in the future, you only work on fully-funded milestones. Very simple.

re: "Next I have been checking the profile of this client and it seems that there is a list of freelancers of last month and new ones have added for the month of March."

Don't do that. Move on from this. Don't dwell on this.

re: "I'm bringing this issue up, so this can be checked out by Upwork."

No. This can't be checked out by Upwork. Here is what Upwork sees:

- There was a milestone funded for $5

- That milestone was released to the freelancer

- This matter is now over.

Preston H wrote:

re: "Next I have been checking the profile of this client and it seems that there is a list of freelancers of last month and new ones have added for the month of March."

Don't do that. Move on from this. Don't dwell on this.

re: "I'm bringing this issue up, so this can be checked out by Upwork."

No. This can't be checked out by Upwork. Here is what Upwork sees:

- There was a milestone funded for $5

- That milestone was released to the freelancer

- This matter is now over.

Very much disagree. Upwork can't and won't help you get paid. But, if the client makes a habit of tricking freelancers into doing larger jobs by only funding $5 and then skips out on the agreement, Upwork can and should get rid of that client.

No reason Upwork should want to hold on to a client who gets a $28 job done and only pays Upwork $1 in fees because he tricked the freelancer.

Thank you for your reply sofar. 

But I have contacted the client again. 

I believe in getting what I deserve and I have worked for. 

He replied and mentioned that the pay out will be coming Thursday.

Will keep you posted. 

Great news!

To finalize this subject.

I got a total amount of $28 from the client.

Sofar so good! 

Thank you all for your help.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members