🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: A Suggestion For Hourly Projects
Page options
40b77e4c
Community Member

A Suggestion For Hourly Projects

Hi This is sharjeel 

I want to suggest to upwork that they should provide clients who are going to post hourly project to mention how much per hour rate they can afford like fixed projects. 

This will help us a lot. 

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I want to suggest to upwork that they should provide clients who are going to post hourly project to mention how much per hour rate they can afford like fixed projects."

I appreciate your sentiment.

I know where you are coming from on this... And I see how it would be helpful.

But I think asking for a number like that would be burdensome and problematic for clients.

A lot of us don't like the fact that clients must enter a budget number for the fixed-price contracts.

For what it worth, clients DO CURRENTLY INDICATE how much they are willing to pay for hourly contracts, but choosing between:

$

$$

$$$

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I want to suggest to upwork that they should provide clients who are going to post hourly project to mention how much per hour rate they can afford like fixed projects."

I appreciate your sentiment.

I know where you are coming from on this... And I see how it would be helpful.

But I think asking for a number like that would be burdensome and problematic for clients.

A lot of us don't like the fact that clients must enter a budget number for the fixed-price contracts.

For what it worth, clients DO CURRENTLY INDICATE how much they are willing to pay for hourly contracts, but choosing between:

$

$$

$$$

florydev
Community Member

Malik S wrote:

Hi This is sharjeel 

I want to suggest to upwork that they should provide clients who are going to post hourly project to mention how much per hour rate they can afford like fixed projects. 

I disagree entirely.  In fact I am philosophically opposed to what you are suggesting to such a degree that it makes me want to sneeze.

What a client wants to pay is irrelevant.  I am pretty sure they want to pay $0.00 an hour and have it done yesterday.  A client's opinion on what they should think something should cost or how long it should take me is not really useful information.  I can also tell that, in my experience, the worst clients are often the ones who think they do know.

The rate I charge is the rate I charge, if it is too much for the client they will not hire me.   Such is life.

Some n=1 evidence for the frequent mismatch between what clients think the end result is worth vs. my hourly rate.

I've received many invites from hourly jobs that have the hourly range listed on them. Every single time, it's lower than my hourly, and I'm still hired. So, I agree with Mark, this isn't useful information (at least not for me). There are better data/KPIs that Upwork could deliver to FLers. 

Recently, some jobs in my category(ies) have given hourly ranges, i.e. 40-55/ hour.

Mary W wrote:

Recently, some jobs in my category(ies) have given hourly ranges, i.e. 40-55/ hour.

I think that is Upwork making suggestions.  I am uncomfortable with where Upwork is heading with it but I do not believe it is ever shown to the client directly.

Mark F wrote:

Malik S wrote:

Hi This is sharjeel 

I disagree entirely.  In fact I am philosophically opposed to what you are suggesting to such a degree that it makes me want to sneeze.

What a client wants to pay is irrelevant.  I am pretty sure they want to pay $0.00 an hour and have it done yesterday.  A client's opinion on what they should think something should cost or how long it should take me is not really useful information.  I can also tell that, in my experience, the worst clients are often the ones who think they do know.

When I see a job posted and the client states: "this should be an easy job for a skilled 'X'" or "this won't take you very long if you know what you're doing..", not only do I sneeze, but one of my fingers also moves involuntarily.

The rate I charge is the rate I charge, if it is too much for the client they will not hire me.   Such is life.

Richard S wrote:

When I see a job posted and the client states: "this should be an easy job for a skilled 'X'" or "this won't take you very long if you know what you're doing..", not only do I sneeze, but one of my fingers also moves involuntarily.

I hear you but I love this one because it is like saying hey Mark, you don't me as a client.  People talk about not knowing if a job is worth using connects on and I feel like jobs like these should never have any takers...but people are desperate.

tlsanders
Community Member

In many cases, there isn't any such thing as an hourly rate the clients can afford.

I'll give you an example. I recently had a design project that my regular designer, who charges $75/hour, estimated at 6 hours.

The client I was hiring for didn't want to pay that rate, so we went with a designer who charged significantly less per hour. She took nearly 30 hours to complete the project. The client saved no money by paying a lower hourly rate. And, of course, the client couldn't "afford" or "not afford" $X/hour--the concern was the project cost. Hourly rate conveys almost nothing about project cost.

Tiffany S wrote:

In many cases, there isn't any such thing as an hourly rate the clients can afford.

I'll give you an example. I recently had a design project that my regular designer, who charges $75/hour, estimated at 6 hours.

The client I was hiring for didn't want to pay that rate, so we went with a designer who charged significantly less per hour. She took nearly 30 hours to complete the project. The client saved no money by paying a lower hourly rate. And, of course, the client couldn't "afford" or "not afford" $X/hour--the concern was the project cost. Hourly rate conveys almost nothing about project cost.

And they were lucky it was just 30...in my line of work they may get something after a period of time but what they get might be far worse than nothing at all.  I have a client right now that is talking about rescuing some work another freelancer did.  It really should be shot, burned, buried, and the site covered in concrete.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths