🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » A Test Job?
Page options
Community Member

A Test Job?

I got a contract with a client and he ended it cause I wasn't a good fit. What I didn't aware of, however, in the mail he says it's a test job. We never establish if it's a paying test or no even though Upwork sent him a bill which he hasn't paid after weeks. 

Is it too late to clear up the situation? 

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

Your post does not make sense.

If you had an actual contract and used Upwork properly, then you were paid automatically. It does not matter if this was a test job or not.

It seems clear that you used the tool incorrectly. You should figure out what you did wrong so that you don't make the same mistake in the future.

lcs7777
Community Member

Please make sure that a formal "contract" is started before doing any work for a client. You will not be paid for any work you do before the contract begins, even if they call it a "test job". Your next job will go much better!  

kinector
Community Member

Harleta, like Preston and Joe pointed out, something is fundamentally wrong.

If you had an hourly contract and you logged your hours correctly, the client gets billed for the work automatically. So it doesn't sound like this is your case.

If you had a fixed-price contract:

Case A) The client funded a milestone, you sent over the work but did not use the Submit Work button. If this is the case, send the same work using that button and you get paid in 14 days.

Case B) The client didn't fund the work which also means you don't have an ongoing contract. Since the "job" ended in a mixup, this is a good thing for you! The client cannot leave you any bad feedback so you can go about your business! You lost some time, of course, but you still have a future on Upwork as there is nothing to be cleared up.

Please go through all the articles linked to this page: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063718-Get-Paid-for-Fixed-Price-Contracts

There are no test projects over here. Only projects that are set to be small size and paid in full. They may be treated as a test by the client for picking the right freelancer for a bigger project later. All work must be paid for.

I hope this helps. All the best!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members