🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » A Very Important Message
Page options
bilal1983
Community Member

A Very Important Message

As you all must've heard, there has been massive flooding in Pakistan that has reportedly affected more than 30 million people. Entire villages and towns have been wiped out, farm lands and crops destroyed, hundreds of thousands of cattle have died.

Millions of people have lost their homes, and are now living in the open, unsheltered. Reportedly the floods have caused 1000+ to die, but the numbers could grow rapidly, as now they are without food and shelter. There's massive shortage of clean drinking water and people are forced to drink contaminated water. It is feared that a lot of people could die due to illness and hunger.

Relief campaigns are underway, but there's a lot more needed. Thank God, I live in an urban area where we are safe. But a large portion of population live in rural, farming regions, and they have been devastated. I'm reaching out to people overseas, in western countries. Because of the huge difference in currency rates between Pakistani Rupee and USD and GBP or Euro, even small amounts of aid, when exchanged, become a good amount locally.

One Philanthropic NGO that I know of that I trust, is FGRF (Faizan Global Relief Foundation). They have people all over the country so they have a great network and good outreach, they are working hard to reach the worst affected people and provide them food, clothing and shelter. They are in phase 1 now, where they need to supply a lot of food and tents. Then comes rebuilding homes, rehabilitating them and giving them work opportunities, most of those people have lost their farmland and cattle on which they depended on to provide for themselves.

The Pakistan Army and Navy have offered their ships and helicopters to help bring supplies to the remote areas. There are some villages which are completely surrounded by water and people are stuck.

If you or anyone of your friends or colleagues or relatives would like to contribute, the bank details are given below. Most importantly, please pray that God makes it easy for the affected people in Pakistan, and all over the world where there are rains and floods.

I don't know if sharing this information is allowed here, so if it get's removed please message me and I'll share it through private message.

EDIT: The bank information to donate was removed. So please search for Faizan Global Relief Foundation (FGRF) and you can donate directly to them through their webpage.

Upwork Mods: If possible, please create a site-wide notification for the flood affected people. As one other freelancer mentioned in his post on Coffee Break forum: Internet services have been affected in many parts of the country, and many freelancers are not able to keep up with their work commitments, and had requested for some assistance or allowance in that regard.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Bilal,

We at Upwork are thinking about those impacted by the recent flooding in Pakistan and do hear your plea for help. I've shared your concerns and information you provided with the team. We'll work on supporting our community in the affected area, please stay safe.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Bilal,

We at Upwork are thinking about those impacted by the recent flooding in Pakistan and do hear your plea for help. I've shared your concerns and information you provided with the team. We'll work on supporting our community in the affected area, please stay safe.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hi Vladimir,

Thank you very much for your consideration and sharing with the team. I hope something can be done for the affected people.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths