🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » A bad experience with upwork
Page options
tfe-soft
Community Member

A bad experience with upwork

I am asking the community if they find this far and normal Upwork practice with hard workers and how many of us, freelancers, were in the same situation where Upwork arbitrary made a disadvantage.

At the end of June I got contacted by a client regarding a complex job that involve a bridge between Metatrader 4 language and Excel, to be able to trade Forex direct from Excel. I was working for the client until the end of Aug, writing more then 3000+ scripts code, Mql4 , Vba, Excel multiple langauges and visual design. The jobs were separated into 2 different jobs with several milestones because of the volume of work and to make sure milestones are reached one by one. The client this waqy could check that he received what he asked for and want.

After I finished the job and sent the project to the client for debugging, my account got suspended for an investigation by fraud prevention. Now very important is to mention that all the conversation with the client was made through Upwork, all the files were submitted through Upwork. All in all everything was made through Upwork and the only "Red" flag probably in Upwork mind was that the client was from the same country as me and speaking the same language. Of course if you know you speak in native language with client since you both need to understand better and explain better. 

After I sent all the necessary documents to Upwork, lots of screenshots, logs, ALL SOURCE codes with all the scripts that I worked on and after one week of pain they released my suspend from my account and restore it to normal. Of course since I did NOTHING wrong, it was almost one month of working and another week of pain with Upwork support.

In the meantime I spoke with another client to send him a proposal but guess what I was not able to do that because my account was suspended so the client coundn't get a proposal from me for almost one week. Now if I get a negative feedback because I was late with the propsal it will be my fault right?!

And wait that's not all, now is coming the nice part, I just got an email:

„We want to let you know that you no longer qualify as a Top Rated freelancer on Upwork.
I am saying what??? This should be a mistake! I enter the live chat and speAk with an agent that is telling me my account was suspended so yeah I am losing my top rated.

What for? I didn't violate any terms and conditions from Upwork, I didn't do anything wrong, All my conversations with the client were through Upwork. I didn't got any warrning when my account hold was released. Now I am losing my top rated status because of an arbritrary decision that created me a big disadvantage. 

How many of the freelancers got this problem in the past? Where is my Upwork escrow protection? Why is my fault and my account get suspended?  Why nobody read the chat log with the client, why nobody investigated the work I submitted to client through Upwork and if it was the case to get suspended? They took the decision to suspend the account and afterwards to investigate...

7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

George wrote:

I enter the live chat and speAk with an agent that is telling me my account was suspended so yeah I am losing my top rated.

Generally, if you were cleared of any wrongdoing, they manually return your top rated status, so either there is some info misssing, or the rep advised you incorrectly.

Now if I get a negative feedback because I was late with the propsal it will be my fault right?!

Why would you get feedback over a proposal?

How many of the freelancers got this problem in the past? Where is my Upwork escrow protection? 

What does any of this have to do with "Escrow protection?"

tfe-soft
Community Member

I already enter the live chat with an agent and he told me that this is the system I was suspended and I am not top rated anymore. I already writer an email to Upwork agents that handle the case I hope this get solved.

The feedback will be for the job, that we already agree on it, price and terms but if I sent the proposal 1 week later what the client will say? That I am not serious, since I didn't start the job as soon as possible.

After I submit all documents to Upwork from my side, and all the work I did Upwork reply me that they can't unsuspend my account because they wait for client verification documents, from what I understand from the client was about the bank statement was asked as additional verification. Why I have to wait with my account suspended until a client submit whatever he need to submit, that shouldn't be my business or any freelancer concern about that.

petra_r
Community Member

George D wrote:

I already enter the live chat with an agent and he told me that this is the system I was suspended and I am not top rated anymore. 

The loss of the top-rated status is an automated process that results from having an account hold. As I said, usually Upwork will manually correct that if you were cleared of any wrongdoing.

I am still unclear where "Escrow protection" comes into it.

Good luck, George.

Much of Upwork is run by algorithms and the errors created as a result have to be corrected by human employees. That can take time, but I have to say my infrequent interactions with Upwork's support people have been by and large very fair and responsive. 

I hope your use of the language you and the client find easiest to use hasn't adversely affected the original decision or the review and correction Upwork may be considering. If you look at Upwork's own Web site you can see the diversity of countries where Upwork has freelancers...

https://www.upwork.com/l/countries/

...so hiring enough high quality employees who are native or fluent speakers of all the related languages is probably not possible.

Hi George,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I already followed up with the team handling your case and you can expect an update on your support ticket very soon.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Thank you for the support, I really hope my top rated status to be restore.

Thanks,

This is the standard answer I get from upwork when I ask about my top RATED status. My account was suspended for nothing , after the investigation I got unsuspended without any warning, since I did NOTHING to violate upwork ToS. How is this possible after a job of almost 1 month of work to loss my top rated status just arbitrary ? I enter the chat, I email upwork about this, nobody care about it from upwork to manual review this and undone it. I am getting just standard answers. "Thanks for getting back with us. As part of Upwork's continuing commitment to keeping Upwork safe for both clients and contractors, we are implementing a quality review of all accounts. While we understand your concern, unfortunately, we cannot share the exact reason why your Upwork account was restricted. We can assure you that these decisions are made after a careful review of your account. Thank you for your understanding. Regards, Upwork Trust & Safety Team"
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members