🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » A client asked for ID, otherwise remove my hi...
Page options
daphnejw
Community Member

A client asked for ID, otherwise remove my hire

A client contracted me on Upwork, and I signed a NDA per request. He asked for my ID, and I reponsed him that my profile is verfied by Upwork, and he can contact Upwork customer service for confirmation. Here is what he replied me,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Daphne, you are new to Upwork, I understand Upwork has verified your ID but we require all all contractors have ID on file with us. Just like you sign contract with Upwork but still have to sign NDA with our company. Please send your government ID either drivers license or passport so we can verify. This is the same for all of our contractors, unfortunately if you feel uncomfortable sending us your ID, we have to remove your hire. Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are my questions:

1. Is it legit to for clients to ask freelancers to provide ID?

2. Since the contact has started on Upwork, what will impact me if the contract is cancelled? 

3. What would you recommend to reply this client? 

Thanks for help.  

5 REPLIES 5
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Daphne W wrote:

A client contracted me on Upwork, and I signed a NDA per request. He asked for my ID, and I reponsed him that my profile is verfied by Upwork, and he can contact Upwork customer service for confirmation. Here is what he replied me,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Daphne, you are new to Upwork, I understand Upwork has verified your ID but we require all all contractors have ID on file with us. Just like you sign contract with Upwork but still have to sign NDA with our company. Please send your government ID either drivers license or passport so we can verify. This is the same for all of our contractors, unfortunately if you feel uncomfortable sending us your ID, we have to remove your hire. Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are my questions:

1. Is it legit to for clients to ask freelancers to provide ID?

2. Since the contact has started on Upwork, what will impact me if the contract is cancelled? 

3. What would you recommend to reply this client? 

Thanks for help.  

A potential scammer, maybe. They will not appreciate if you don't do what they want, so might leave bad private feedback, which will impact your rating. 

You could reply: Dear John, I understand your internal processes require my ID, but unfortunately I am unable to provide it to you. 

Then end the contract yourself. Or leave it open and never talk to them again. If they forget about you, end the contract in a few weeks or months and hope they will not provide feedback. 

Daphne:
If I hired you and I'm excited to have you help me with my work, and then somebody from HR dept. told me to ask for your ID, and then I asked you, and you said no...

Well, I already have a contract with you, and I really want your help. So I'm just going to tell Beatrice in HR that she said no, so leave me alone about it.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Daphne,

Thanks for flagging this for us.  I’ve escalated this report to the correct team for their review. 

It's definitely good to be careful and not to share any private or sensitive information with clients on Upwork. All the information needed to hire and pay you via Upwork is available on your profile. If you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, we encourage you to use Report Suspicious User Activity feature.

~ Bojan
Upwork
daphnejw
Community Member

Hi Bojan,

What would you suggest to reply this client?

Thanks.

Daphne

tlbp
Community Member

Daphne W wrote:

Hi Bojan,

What would you suggest to reply this client?

Thanks.

Daphne

Client, 

While I respect your desire to independently confirm the identities of your freelancers, I was not expecting to receive a request for ID and it's not something I'm comfortable providing. I don't want to take up any more of your time, so I'm going to close out our contract. I am aware that our NDA remains active and will not disclose any of the details you have shared with me. Thank you for offering me the opportunity to work on your project.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths