cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A client asked me to sign a non-disclosure agreement, is that common on upwork?

monahassan23
Mona H Member Since: Nov 11, 2018
1 of 30

Hello, 

I know this may not be a new topic but, I have never dealt with it before and I really don't know if it's right.
I got a reply for a proposal I sent and the client asked to sign a contract, his words are as follows:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

And also asked for the following:

Essential requirements
Copy of Driving License/Passport
Proof of residence
Receipt of satisfactory due diligence & reference requests
Non-Disclosure agreement to be signed

I don't know if this is normal to sign a contract or an agreement, and I don't know if the contract will be outside of upwork. Should I proceed with this? as I'm not sure what to do.

Kindly advice.
Thank you in advance

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
2 of 30

Hi Mona,

Clients can ask freelancers to sign an additional NDA however, I would strongly recommend not to provide any personal documents.

Our team will also review the client further and if any violations are found proper actions will be taken. If you have any additional questions, let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
monahassan23
3 of 30

Thank yoy Goran for your quick reply.

So i get it that it's OK to sign NDA, but does it have to be inside or outside of upwork? 

I'm sorry but I've just never been sent one before or asked to sign one before. 

And as for the personel info they asked for, I should just bluntly decline to share them? 

Thanks

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
4 of 30

Mona H.,

Upwork mostly cares about you not doing anything that gets you paid outside Upwork, which robs Upwork of its fees and loses you any hope of help in getting paid, in some cases.

I regularly sign NDAs, but wouldn't do so if any potential client required that I provide more than my signature on their NDA.

monahassan23
5 of 30

Thank you, sir. I think I'll do the same.

martina_plaschka
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
6 of 30

Mona H wrote:

Thank yoy Goran for your quick reply.

So i get it that it's OK to sign NDA, but does it have to be inside or outside of upwork? 

I'm sorry but I've just never been sent one before or asked to sign one before. 

And as for the personel info they asked for, I should just bluntly decline to share them? 

Thanks

No, politely, as in: Dear John, enclosed please find the signed NDA. As per recommendation of upwork, I can't include personal information. 

monahassan23
7 of 30

Thanks Ma'am, that's a very good way to put it.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 30

Mona H wrote:

As **ALL** communications prior to being hired has to be on Upwork, the NDA has to be shared on Upwork, too.

Tell the client you have been advised by Upwork not to share documents and refer them to Upwork if they have any questions. Basically you are setting yourself up for identity theft otherwise

Never share anything with a client you wouldn't share with a random stranger on the Internet. Because ultimately, that is exactly what that client is. A random stranger on the internet.

monahassan23
9 of 30

Thank you Petra

That's right, I appreciate that.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
10 of 30

I work with highly privileged information (in the legal field) and am always asked to sign an NDA.  I put my name and address but no other information.  I tell them that Upwork has verified my ID and can be contacted by the client if necessary.  That approach has always worked.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS