cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A client asked me to sign a non-disclosure agreement, is that common on upwork?

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
21 of 30

Mona,

It is possible what they are telling you is true.

If you are still interested in working with them, tell them you hope they understand that the current state of the online world makes you wary of providing personal information to people you don;t know well.

Then ask them what regulator regulates them and check on both the potential client's Web site and the claimed regulator's Web site to confirm you're dealing with a real and genuine company.

That may (or may not) give you enough comfort to consider whether the amount of your income on this project warrants taking the risk of providing certain information to the client.

Good luck!

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
22 of 30

Will L wrote:

Mona,

It is possible what they are telling you is true.

If you are still interested in working with them, tell them you hope they understand that the current state of the online world makes you wary of providing personal information to people you don;t know well.

Then ask them what regulator regulates them and check on both the potential client's Web site and the claimed regulator's Web site to confirm you're dealing with a real and genuine company.

That may (or may not) give you enough comfort to consider whether the amount of your income on this project warrants taking the risk of providing certain information to the client.

Good luck!

Agree. OP does securities-related work so the people who hire her may be subject to more stringent industry-specific regulations. But of course, that calls into question how they can begin to employ online to begin with. I would recommend that OP make sure she understands the risks of lending her credentials (through working as a freelancer) to the company before making a decision. Laws for securities vary a lot from state to state. 

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
23 of 30

Mona,

No one on this board can confirm for you what this potential client needs for their own due diligence or whether they are legitimate in every way, so it is completely up to you to do your own due diligence, which they will not mind if they are legitimate.

If this is a Wall Street firm and US regulators have such requirements, then that's one thing.

If this is some unshaven clown sitting in his mama's basement drinking YooHoo who tells you he is regulated by the Galactic Board of Trade in Gold and Precious Metals, that will tell you what you need to know.

Good luck!

monahassan23
Mona H Member Since: Nov 11, 2018
24 of 30

Thak you Will,

I think I could ask him that yes and see what happens.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
25 of 30

Mona H wrote:

I did and he said they, as a regulated firm, can not rely on a 3rd party for this information.

That doesn't sit well with me. The one and only time I had to jump through those hoops (for a 6-digit contract) the company did a full ID check including background checks in 3 countries, BUT they did not ask for me to send my documents through email or messages, they asked a reputable verification and background check company to verify me.

I do not see a reputable and regulated company expecting strangers to send sensitive material using essentially unsafe channels to strangers on the Internet.

monahassan23
26 of 30

It doesn't sit well with me either, but I have checked them online on linkedin and their website **Edited for Community Guidelines**

But I still don't know, he just replied saying that he contacted upwork and they said that their only concern is to communicate outside of their platform, but they assured him that it's not a problem with them to share personal information

petra_r
Community Guru
27 of 30

Mona H wrote:

But I still don't know, he just replied saying that he contacted upwork and they said that their only concern is to communicate outside of their platform, but they assured him that it's not a problem with them to share personal information

That again sounds untrue given the new terms of service and I doubt he told Upwork he was asking for ID documents.

"Copy of Driving License/Passport
Proof of residence"

All manner of mischief can be done with those two... It's all they need to open accounts under your name...

monahassan23
28 of 30

So, the verdicat is out, it was a scam.

I asked them about their regulator as Mr Will suggested and they vanished. The guy never asnwered back, even though he was very active and always answered my messages seconds after i send them. I hope the upwork team or control team or whatever flag them or ban them from posting jobs or something.

monahassan23
29 of 30

Hey guys,

Just an udate, the guy actually answered back today with their FRN number and said they were regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. So. I went on the FCA website and checked their number and found the company listed.

So, what do you guys think?

petra_r
Community Guru
30 of 30

Mona H wrote:

Just an udate, the guy actually answered back today with their FRN number and said they were regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. So. I went on the FCA website and checked their number and found the company listed.

So, what do you guys think?

What is that job actually worth? 

Ultimately, nobody can tell you what risks you are willing to take. Some people are more careful, some people are risk takers.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS