Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A client ended my fixed price contract after submitting the work

brianajross
Community Leader
Briana R Member Since: Jul 8, 2015
11 of 20

Yeah, if it's working and the client just claims it's not so they don't have to pay you, then that sucks. I'd open a complain with UpWork (I've never done this but I'm sure others have), and get yourself paid. Also be sure to leave feedback for the client that reflects what has happened.

ziko87
Zakaria C Member Since: Feb 16, 2016
12 of 20

Briana,

That's the point. There's only two choices : Sacriface the work done or have a dispute, both of them bad, I'm just looking for the less painful !

brianajross
Community Leader
Briana R Member Since: Jul 8, 2015
13 of 20

I'd go thorugh with the dispute if you really feel like you're in the right. If it's a misunderstanding or if you think the client has ground to stand on, then use it as a lesson learned. But if you believe that you did everything right and that you are owed the money then open a dispute! Clients should not be allowed to get stuff for free or back out of their contract. They'll just do it again and it rewards the bad guy. 

In regards to them possibly leaving you bad feedback if you open a dispute, that's called retaliation. I wonder if UpWork has some sort of protection against it? For example, if you win a dispute then can you have the clients feedback removed from your profile?

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
14 of 20

@Briana R wrote:

I'd go thorugh with the dispute if you really feel like you're in the right. If it's a misunderstanding or if you think the client has ground to stand on, then use it as a lesson learned. But if you believe that you did everything right and that you are owed the money then open a dispute! Clients should not be allowed to get stuff for free or back out of their contract. They'll just do it again and it rewards the bad guy. 

In regards to them possibly leaving you bad feedback if you open a dispute, that's called retaliation. I wonder if UpWork has some sort of protection against it? For example, if you win a dispute then can you have the clients feedback removed from your profile?

Nope. You can have it removed if you're Top Rated. It's always been that way too and I doubt they will change it.  

ziko87
15 of 20

I think in both cases the client will give a bad feedback, but the difference is :

1-If I proceed with a dispute and eventually get some money, the project will be shown in my profile and there would be a private and public feedback (which will be shown in my profile)

2-If I accept a full refund, there will be only a private feedback and the project won't be shown in my profile (this will affect my JSS because of the private feedback, but at least, the client won't have the chance to give me a public feedback)

lysis10
Community Guru
16 of 20

If you are top rated you can just have it removed anyway.

lysis10
Community Guru
17 of 20

I would think desktop software would be really hard on here and flat rate would be a huge mistake. Nonetheless, you have to budget for the unexpected. Add several hours to your bid and be firm about what you will and will not do or they will walk all over you.

This is an example of a noob freelancer not budgeting for extra time. How many times has a dev said "It works on my machine." Famous last words. QA people actually make fun of us for this.

ziko87
18 of 20

Jeniffer,

You're right about "desktop app on fixed price is a huge mistake" , I will never do this again. But here, it's not just an issue of not estimating risks, but a client who ended the contract while I offered investigation service, so as it seems, he doesn't want this and he want to take it for free !!

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
19 of 20

@Zakaria C wrote:

Jeniffer,

You're right about "desktop app on fixed price is a huge mistake" , I will never do this again. But here, it's not just an issue of not estimating risks, but a client who ended the contract while I offered investigation service, so as it seems, he doesn't want this and he want to take it for free !!

I would definitely go through with the dispute.   

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
lysis10
Community Guru
20 of 20

@Zakaria C wrote:

Jeniffer,

Some clients just **bleep** it in the bud early. Maybe they don't understand that desktop software takes time to debug. That's one of the frustrations of being a freelancer. They expect perfect in things where revisions and testing and even bugs are expected. Who delivers perfect software without any bugs or issues? Nobody and especially on a desktop environment.

That's why you have to bid high with flat rate to ensure that your time is covered should things go crazy.

I see no reason to ever give a refund around here if you did the work. You're getting bad feedback regardless so you might as well get paid for it. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS