🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: A client is ignoring me, Should i end the...
Page options
adhamamer59
Community Member

A client is ignoring me, Should i end the contract myself ?

Hi
Couple weeks ago i applied for a small job 10$ fixed price, I delevered the work and got paid for that
Later he asked me for more work 40$ this time, Also i did my work and got paid and we are both statified
But he did not end the contract, I asked him if he has more work but he's ignoring me all the time, I send him every 2 days to end the contract
I realy need him to end the contract cause i need this feedback as it's my first job, I don't know what should i do, Should i end it myself ? I need an advice

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
yitwail
Community Member

Adham, you may need feedback but the client may not know that or care, and if you close the contract yourself then the client probably will not leave feedback. You already reminded the client more than once to close the contract so don’t do that again or the client may get angry with you and give you low feedback, which would be worse than no feedback. If I were in your position I might just wait for a couple of weeks in case the client was unable to reply to your messages.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
ricardoreinholt
Community Member

I have had the same problem twice the past three months. 

I had one client on the exact same way as yours, only thing difference is that he made two contracts for me. He didn't closed any of my contracts which left me without feedback.

Furhtermore, six months ago I restarted my account after 2 years of break. I had two old clients whereof both of them are now inactive on Upwork. Therefore it wasn't possible for me to get feedback.

Result: I have ended up with a Job Succes Score on 84% just one week before I would obtain Top Ranked Badge. EVENTHOUGH my "Clients who would recommend you" is 94% (See attathcment)

What Upwork Help Center told me? There is nothing to do. They were actually advising me to close the contracts saying, that 'the result would be the same - it's just about timing'. So now I've used the past 9 weeks to get new clients trying to obtaing 90%+ JSS.

So my answer for you. **edited for Community Guidelines**

Thanks dude, i didn't understand what do you mean by closing my profile and starting a new af

Adham A wrote:

Thanks dude, i didn't understand what do you mean by closing my profile and starting a new af

He's advising you to start over with a different account, which will result in a permanent ban from Upwork, and is also completely unnecessary.

Andreas, Please refrain from encouraging other users to violate the Upwork Terms of Service. Please be mindful of the Community Guidelines when posting in the Community. 

As a gentle reminder to everyone, users are not allowed to have more than one account on Upwork regardless if the old account is closed, or suspended, or the registration was not accepted.

~ Avery
Upwork
xlnt3d
Community Member

I'm still a rookie at Upwork, but you don't necessarily need feedback for that first  job. I don't always get feedback either. Focus on getting more work and making kick ass proposals that win you the work. It's felt like a snail's pace growing from $100-$1000, but getting more and more work, people seeing the portfolio and solid proposals have helped. I picked up the first $100 around 2017 and out of frustration let my profile lie dorment. Then out of absolute need I hit it again in October 2019. I should break $1000 by the end of this month.

I've had some jobs left open and no comment and I've closed them myself. Others I've left open when I thought they should be closed and then communications kept up and I started getting return/repeat business. 

In the beginning, it's hard not to focus on the small things when you are not busy. However, you've got to keep attacking, don't look back too much.

Just focus on work that is low hanging fruit, a sure fit and a solid proposal and keep moving forward with momentum. 

Man, your syle is awesome but we aften need a feedback to keep going i think
Also your words have a magical motivation Lol 🙂

I've taken some really low paying stuff just to get movement. Its better than working for minimum wage somewhere, so I can hack it, plus I've got some serious fire under my ass, I support a family of 6.

I focused on gigs where I fell within the preferences, the risk was low for the client (low pay), and it was easy fast work for me. I also didnt bid on anything with more than 5-10 proposals already submitted (although I'd get them early, I'm sure they grew). That being said, my most recent client is my highest paying so far and I did not fall within his preferences of 90% and over $1000. I applied anyway because I knew my expertise was specific enough to sear through the penalty box my bid was sitting in! The gig was 2 days old and he contacted me 2 hours after I bid.

I'm feeling really good right now, but I'm just getting out of the gates. I'm sure I'll get punched in the face and have my ass handed to me at some point, its all part of the journey.

My point is, I didn't sweat feedback (other than no bad feedback) or money I've earned thus far on Upwork.

I zeroed in on getting my first $100. Now, I'm zeroed in on getting to $1000. As soon as I get that (trending end of January), next target will be $5k then double that and keep going. I've got no rating, just some good feedback, but no accolades or recommendations yet.

Also, remember to have fun!
yitwail
Community Member

Adham, you may need feedback but the client may not know that or care, and if you close the contract yourself then the client probably will not leave feedback. You already reminded the client more than once to close the contract so don’t do that again or the client may get angry with you and give you low feedback, which would be worse than no feedback. If I were in your position I might just wait for a couple of weeks in case the client was unable to reply to your messages.

Thanks, john

Let's wait and see 😉

tlsanders
Community Member

Definitely stop bugging him, or you may annoy him into closing the contract and giving you negative feedback.

You can close the contract yourself if you want to, but there's no reason to rush. If you close it, your client will still have 14 days to leave feedback, but bugging him about it is a bad idea. If you leave it open for a while, maybe he'll come back and close it, or come back with more work for you. 

The best thing you can do is just close it or not and move on to looking for other jobs. In the future, don't ask a client to close the contract more than once.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths