🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » A client is trying to scam me.
Page options
sleek_marketing
Community Member

A client is trying to scam me.

I did a work for a client, after successfully completing and delivering the work, My payment got reversed to the client. Though he poated the job as hourly rate, which we didn't work with, he then proceeded to send me via bonus. But the bonus have been reversed, but I notice the client is tryin to scam me, how can  I get my money back?

3 REPLIES 3
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Oroyinka,

I`m sorry about the inconvenience this had caused you. I can see that you`ve already posted your questions on your ticket as well and our team will assist you further as soon as possible. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
michael_skaggs
Community Member

The only time payments are protected are

1. You have an hourly contract, you log your time with the desktop app, and those hours show sufficient activity levels.
  2. You have a fixed price contract, the project/milestone is fully funded, and you submit your work using the "Submit work and request payment button", after which the client has 14 days to either release the payment or request changes.

None of these were done, so there's not really much Upwork can do. Bonuses are not covered under payment protections. They're only used as an extra reward for a job well done, but there is no contractual obligation to pay a bonus.

On the bright side, you will be able to spot these types of clients easier in the future. Never, ever work for a client who says they will pay you via a bonus, as they're doing that to avoid the payment protections. Only work either hourly for the agreed-upon rate, and track your time accordingly, or for fixed price contracts where the project/milestone is fully funded before you do any work whatsoever.

petra_r
Community Member

Oroyinka P wrote:

how can  I get my money back?

Short answer: You can't. If it was an hourly job and if you want to be protected, you have to track your time properly.

If you don't track your time properly there is nothing anyone can do.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths