🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » A client tells me he changed his mind on the ...
Page options
alehalabi
Community Member

A client tells me he changed his mind on the product after I submitted the job

Hello! I'm writing this because I need some advice. I work as a cosmetic chemist and my deliverable is a formula for a skincare product together with the procedure.

To start I ask my clients to fill out a questionnaire to obtain the necessary information to work with. This client was too brief to give me information but sent me a picture of the product he wanted. We had a milestone where I presented all the necessary ingredients, we agreed and I continued with the next MS, the formula. Before sending the work and ask for payment I presented the product with a video and he asked me for some changes, I sent a new formula with the changes and he asked me for more. I changed it again (not very big changes) and when I gave him the new formula, with all the details of the procedure and video of the cream very similar to his photo he says: "I discussed with my boss and I was wrong in my description of the cream and the initial photo I sent you. It is not what he had in mind". And he sends me another totally different photo. I tell him that this implies starting all over again, which would be the equivalent of a new product, and he only answered me "sorry for the confusion".
I don't know what I should do, if I agree to change again (it's not minor changes anymore) I feel it's not fair because I've already delivered what he initially asked for and more, if I don't agree I'll get a bad qualification because it's not what they need/want, but it doesn't seem fair either because I met all his initial requirements. Although I can remove that feedback, his private rating will still have a negative impact on my JSS. If I'm the one who finishes the contract, I understand that it also has a negative impact on my JSS. Sorry it took so long, I was trying to explain the situation. Any suggestions? THANK YOU!

7 REPLIES 7
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Alejandra H wrote:

Although I can remove that feedback, his private rating will still have a negative impact on my JSS. 

No, it won't - removing the feedback also removes the impact on your JSS - that's the whole point of the feedback removal perk.

Alejandra H wrote:

If I'm the one who finishes the contract, I understand that it also has a negative impact on my JSS. 

No, it doesn't. If you end the contract and haven't been paid anything, then it could have a negative impact on your JSS; but again, you could use your removal perk.

Thank you Christine, 
He already paid me the first MS, and now I'm waiting for the approval of the second one, so if he doesn't approve it because changed his mind and wants another product, and I close the contract I'll lose, right?
Thanks for clarifying about the private feedback, I read somewhere that only the public feedback was removed but the private still counts for JSS calculation.

If you close the contract before you are paid in full, Alejandra, any remaining payments in escrow will be returned to the client. Any unfunded milestones will be deleted.

Let the client close the contract, if it comes to that.

If the client wants you to do a second contract, tell him you'll do it once the current contract is complete and all necessary payments have been made to you.

After everything is completed on this project to your satisfaction, you can then re-assess whether you actually want to continue to work with this client.

Good luck!

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Alejandra,

If you provided what the original project outlined you woud provide, you should insist on getting paid for that work in full regardless of any "mistake' the client claims he made in defining the final product he was looking for.

If this was an hourly project Upwork will see that you get paid as long as your properly tracked your hours.

If this was a fixed price project, I hope you have formally submitted all work under all milestones using the green "Submit" button. 

Erase the client's feedback, if it comes to that, and move on. Life is too short.....

Good luck!

Thanks Will for your advice! yes, I've submitted my job using the green "Submit" button, so I'll just wait and see if he ask to resubmit or accept it. 

This looks like "2 products for the price of 1", you don't really know if it was a "mistake" so if you accept that confusion as an accident or as an "accidental occupational hazard" and keep working on the contract without any extra payment you will be working for free, making a second product, since the changes asked now are major. I agree with the previous posters, and if you wait for 2 weeks that pending milestone will be approved automatically. The feedback may not be ideal but you have the defense function too, or you can use the perk. There is also the possibility they don't give you any feedback at all, some clients don't ever close the contracts. And if that happens it will not affect your JSS according to the new Upwork policy.

Sergio S wrote:

This looks like "2 products for the price of 1", you don't really know if it was a "mistake" so if you accept that confusion as an accident or as an "accidental occupational hazard" and keep working on the contract without any extra payment you will be working for free, making a second product, since the changes asked now are major. I agree with the previous posters, and if you wait for 2 weeks that pending milestone will be approved automatically. The feedback may not be ideal but you have the defense function too, or you can use the perk. There is also the possibility they don't give you any feedback at all, some clients don't ever close the contracts. And if that happens it will not affect your JSS according to the new Upwork policy.

Yeah, I agree. I also smell middleman tbh. How do you mess up the pic of the product you want? OP should take the guy to the cleaners. God I hate these people.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members