🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » A client that is very un professional
Page options
sheheryarkazi
Community Member

A client that is very un professional

Now normally I am very cool with my clients, however I am having to face alot of exhaustion and frustration because of one client. In the original job invite he placed a task that needed editing to be done, and he wanted the final film by Monday, I was like no worries. After I delievered the project to him, he told me changes that he never mentioned mentioned in the original job invite and after two days sent me extra broll footage.

I am currently patiencently trying to finish this order, even though now the product that I am producing for him is comparitively very cheap - compared to what is paying me, but honestly I can not do anything, my goal at the end of the day, is to provide a good service.

But I am thinking once I complete the task, that I will either report him or give me honest feedback, if he closes the contract, that is.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Kasoma L wrote:

I am really disappointed with an agreement of monthly payment on a specific agreed date.

Such an agreement is not enforceable and you should really never have agreed to that. You should choose one of the two available contract models: 

1: Hourly contract, track your time

2: Fixed rate contract, properly funded with the money in escrow.

A client saying I'll pay you $X on (date) doesn't mean much (or anything at all).

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
2a124a22
Community Member

Oh! this is the exact thing that is happening to me after putting a lot of hours of hard work day and night and weekends but the client does not want to pay me my few bucks and telling me i have not done all we had a greed initially and am really disappointed with an agreement of monthly payment on a specific agreed date.For sure this is frustrating as a freelancer.

svspit
Community Member

You guys should avoid fixed price contracts. Period. Otherwise, sooner or later, you will face such and, to be honest, even worse clients.

petra_r
Community Member

Sergey S wrote:

You guys should avoid fixed price contracts. Period. Otherwise, sooner or later, you will face such and, to be honest, even worse clients.

Nothing wrong with fixed rate contracts when using them correctly, choosing clients carefully and managing contracts effectively.

svspit
Community Member

fixes have so many variables to be set properly in compare with hourly where you just work and do not think on milstones, funding etc.

petra_r
Community Member

Kasoma L wrote:

I am really disappointed with an agreement of monthly payment on a specific agreed date.

Such an agreement is not enforceable and you should really never have agreed to that. You should choose one of the two available contract models: 

1: Hourly contract, track your time

2: Fixed rate contract, properly funded with the money in escrow.

A client saying I'll pay you $X on (date) doesn't mean much (or anything at all).

a_lipsey
Community Member

Sheheryar K wrote:

Now normally I am very cool with my clients, however I am having to face alot of exhaustion and frustration because of one client. In the original job invite he placed a task that needed editing to be done, and he wanted the final film by Monday, I was like no worries. After I delievered the project to him, he told me changes that he never mentioned mentioned in the original job invite and after two days sent me extra broll footage.

I am currently patiencently trying to finish this order, even though now the product that I am producing for him is comparitively very cheap - compared to what is paying me, but honestly I can not do anything, my goal at the end of the day, is to provide a good service.

But I am thinking once I complete the task, that I will either report him or give me honest feedback, if he closes the contract, that is.

I don't understand. When he asked for additional work outside the original scope of work, why didn't you simply quote a new milestone and leave it at that? You had the opportunity to address this. The client did not do anything reportable. You just took his request and rolled it in. If he asked for extra work, you ask for an extra milestone. Period. 

Yea your right, I am not sure why I did'nt thought of that - thank you. 

But I guess when I posted this, I was super tired and frustrated - I managed to call the client and talk with him and now we have an understanding, I guess communication was really important. Sometimes maybe zoom is more important than text chat messages.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members