cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: A couple of questions about Upwork mysteries.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Karolis K Member Since: Sep 5, 2015
1 of 18

Hello everyone,

I am quite new to the site. So far managed to understand how the place works, but there are some corners that are not clear to me. Here is a couple of questions that maybe someone can help me with:

1. When signing in for upwork I linked stackoverflow, github and couple of other sites to my profile. However these are nowhere to be seen and I don't have a clue how they are being used here. What's the point of linking other profiles?

2. When working for hourly jobs the software takes screenshots and automatically records your "activity". What is this "activity"? Right now I have one screenshot with 881 keyboard actions and activity level of "2". And I have another one with 243 keybord actions with activity level of "10".

3. Everyone is talking about jub success scores. I have completed 4 jobs and still don't have the score. I read about it and this is like the new feature everyone is waiting for with a complicated calculation mechanism behind it. If that is the case, why name it "job success score"? When I hear the term "job success score" and see it being expressed in % I immidietly think this is the percentage of jobs that were completed successfuly. Maybe somebody knows when the score is obtained and what it really represents?

Much apprieciated if anyone can answer some of the questions above.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
2 of 18

"this is like the new feature everyone is waiting for"

No. This is the new feature everyone hates.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 18

re: "When signing in for upwork I linked stackoverflow, github and couple of other sites to my profile. However these are nowhere to be seen and I don't have a clue how they are being used here. What's the point of linking other profiles?"

Upwork does not display these links in any way.

Upwork's stated purpose in having you link to these other sites is so that their back-end algorithms can access the sites you link to and use the information found there to provide better results in searches, such as when you search for jobs, or such as when looking for jobs to automatically display on your job feed.

Generally speaking, members of the community forum find the results of Upwork's search algorithms underwhelming and many contractors do not bother linking to outside sites like that.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 18

Karolis, this tells you a bit more about how JS works:

https://support.upwork.com/entries/23103173

I think your success rate starts when you have been on the site for six months - if I am wrong please could someone correct me.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
5 of 18

Actually you do not have to be on UpWork for 6 months to get a Job Success Score. You only need to have enough closed contracts with feedback. The Job Success Score is updated every two weeks or so, so after receiving the necessery amount of job feedback to calculate it, it will update on the freelancer's profile in the next bi-weekly update.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
6 of 18

Thanks Hanna, I wasn't sure of that.

Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
BEST ANSWER
7 of 18

1. Sharing contact info on your profile before you're actually in an active interview convo is against the ToS of Upwork. Since all profiles that Upwork allows you to link are alternative channels of contact (outside this website), displaying them on your profile will mean that Upwork violates its own ToS. That's why the linked accounts feature is so far being used internally [or so it has been implied] - and they count in your favour when it comes to identity verification issues.

2. Those are some strange stats; however, the Upwork team app records not just keystrokes but also clicks, which might somehow explain the difference between the activity levels - you might have more clicks in the second screenshot that balance out the keystrokes. It could also be a glitch.

3. Fergus is 100% spot on, nobody likes the JS and all waiting related to it is mostly filled with dread. You're probably not seeing a JS yet because it updates every two weeks or so and you said yourself that you're quite new - it's probably going to appear for you with the next update. You can read more about the offical explanation of what it represents in the link above. However, no-one outside the circle of people who programmed it can tell you exaclty how it's obtained because we've seen reports of it behaving so erratically that any attempts to logically explain it from users' perspective tanks. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Karolis K Member Since: Sep 5, 2015
8 of 18

Thanks a lot for all the answers Preston, Nichola and especially Bojana for answering all 3 of them.

Regarding the activity score - it's still not clear. I don't really use a mouse so those were mostly all the events. I had ~5 mouse clicks. Maybe just some kind of bug in their system. Or maybe they try to weight keyboard and mouse events somehow. It's not that important I guess if the client will not complain.

So it seems most people are disatisfied with job success scores. If they start using them hope I won't have to wait 6 months to obtain one. Also the name they chose for that I thought was really weird. If I am a new clinet and don't know about it and I look at a profile with someone showing a "75% job success score" I would think - wow. This guy failed a quarted of his jobs.

I am starting to see this place is similar to most places on the internet. Great and helful comunity with disliked administration Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 18

Karolis,

You do not need to wait 6 months to establish a job success score.

You can see a job success score on your profile within a few weeks if you complete a few jobs or establish ongoing work with a few contractors.

The name of the score ("Job Success Score") IS a problem. But Upwork will be providing links from the score to explanatory pages. My hope is that clients will quickly come to understand what the score means, and that it is intended as a general measure of contractor quality and success, and it doesn't actually mean what a direct interpretation of its name implies.

But, yes, it's a problematic name.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
10 of 18

"My hope is that clients will quickly come to understand what the score means"

Nothing much?

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS