🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » A couple of questions on long term clients
Page options
zoeadel
Community Member

A couple of questions on long term clients

• What constitutes a long term client? (eg. months of continuous work? Hours billed to the client? Number of jobs? etc.)
  • If you have several contracts with one client - will they still become a long-term client?
  • I have a client who I have been working with for 3-4 months, over that time we have had 4 contracts (1 x fixed rate, 3 x hourly rate) is it okay to continue working this way or should I have just one hourly contract with the client?
  • Is there any benefit to me as a freelancer having a longer hourly project or more successful contracts... ...maybe more contracts will help the JSS...even though the feedback is from the same client?

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

Zoe A wrote:
  1. What constitutes a long term client? (eg. months of continuous work? Hours billed to the client? Number of jobs? etc.)
  2. If you have several contracts with one client - will they still become a long-term client?
  3. I have a client who I have been working with for 3-4 months, over that time we have had 4 contracts (1 x fixed rate, 3 x hourly rate) is it okay to continue working this way or should I have just one hourly contract with the client?
  4. Is there any benefit to me as a freelancer having a longer hourly project or more successful contracts... ...maybe more contracts will help the JSS...even though the feedback is from the same client?

1. 3+ months of regular payments, over one or several contracts.

2. Yes, they do, but it's a really risky strategy. You give that client more or less totall control over your JSS. If it goes sour in one contract, they all end up with poor feedback

3. 😮 - Good luck with that

4. Longer contracts / client relationships with one client can help. But also super risky. 

florydev
Community Member

The problem with #3 that you may have already thought of and I think Petra is alluding to is that is three times the hit if a client relationship goes bad.  You want to try your best to keep one open project with a client at a time.

Nobody wants a relationship to go bad but it is best to consider it a possibility.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths