Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: A couple of questions on long term clients

zoeadel
Ace Contributor
Zoe A Member Since: Dec 16, 2018
1 of 3
  • What constitutes a long term client? (eg. months of continuous work? Hours billed to the client? Number of jobs? etc.)
  • If you have several contracts with one client - will they still become a long-term client?
  • I have a client who I have been working with for 3-4 months, over that time we have had 4 contracts (1 x fixed rate, 3 x hourly rate) is it okay to continue working this way or should I have just one hourly contract with the client?
  • Is there any benefit to me as a freelancer having a longer hourly project or more successful contracts... ...maybe more contracts will help the JSS...even though the feedback is from the same client?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 3

Zoe A wrote:
  1. What constitutes a long term client? (eg. months of continuous work? Hours billed to the client? Number of jobs? etc.)
  2. If you have several contracts with one client - will they still become a long-term client?
  3. I have a client who I have been working with for 3-4 months, over that time we have had 4 contracts (1 x fixed rate, 3 x hourly rate) is it okay to continue working this way or should I have just one hourly contract with the client?
  4. Is there any benefit to me as a freelancer having a longer hourly project or more successful contracts... ...maybe more contracts will help the JSS...even though the feedback is from the same client?

1. 3+ months of regular payments, over one or several contracts.

2. Yes, they do, but it's a really risky strategy. You give that client more or less totall control over your JSS. If it goes sour in one contract, they all end up with poor feedback

3. Smiley Surprised - Good luck with that

4. Longer contracts / client relationships with one client can help. But also super risky. 

florydev
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
3 of 3

The problem with #3 that you may have already thought of and I think Petra is alluding to is that is three times the hit if a client relationship goes bad.  You want to try your best to keep one open project with a client at a time.

Nobody wants a relationship to go bad but it is best to consider it a possibility.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS