cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A drop from 100% to 95% in one single day. HOW?

whogg72
Community Guru
William H Member Since: Dec 2, 2013
21 of 51

Thanks Natasa! 

I work hard to ensure client happiness, and that's why I was floored by that 1* doofus...

One thing I'm a bit annoyed about is the weighting of client scores - sheesh...$18 out of $13k should not have that kind of impact...nor should 1 job out of 149...In the last couple of weeks I have recieved $1908 (4x5* + 1x1*) in closed contracts, with what should be a 99.2% rating, yet my overall rating actually stayed the same...as did my JS score (went from 94 - 96 - 94)...

Cheers,

William

natram
Community Guru
Natasa R Member Since: Feb 2, 2012
22 of 51

"I work hard to ensure client happiness, and that's why I was floored by that 1* doofus..."

Anyone can tell you are doing a great job just by looking at your reviews in your profile. Trust me, your hard work doesn't go unnoticed. Smiley Happy

battershall-ramo
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
23 of 51

Incidently, does anyone know how many percentage points a refund costs?

donnamoss1
Ace Contributor
Donna M Member Since: Aug 28, 2012
24 of 51

Not sure how much that will drop yoour score but from what I can tell you not only have to worry about what it will do to your score immeditally but will continue to do for the next 2 years

Example:

So lets say a freelancer closes a contract even though it's such a no-no  the freelancer gives up and closes a contract and take the hit to JS because that’s the only thing left to do (the client is not responding etc, etc ) because keeping it open is a problem as well

So this same Freelancer for the next year is a good little Upwork worker and does everything right (doesn’t close contracts, bends over backward to unreasonable clients, does Upworks job of educating his clients on the importance of feedback, harasses his clients to close and reopen jobs if there is going to be a pause in the job…etc) all in an effort to get to and keep that 100% JS score but the 1 year anniversary comes around of that closed contact so will his JS score take a dip again at that time

So will anything you do now affect you again one and two years from now will the freelancer be penalized 3 times for the same thing (the first time, in one year and again at 2 years)?

Sure seems like it They say that in a year it will not affect your score much but that doesn’t seem to be true as many people have asked why their score has dropped even though there has been no current change in their situation it seems as though the things you did a year and two years ago weight heavier than your current jobs in the JS algorithm?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
25 of 51

Hi Donna,

I would like to clarify that the outcome of a job will be counted in your Job Success score for two years after the job ended. After the contract becomes more than two years old it will not count against your Job Success score anymore.

~ Valeria
Upwork
johntatlock
Community Leader
John T Member Since: Mar 19, 2015
26 of 51

I've said this before, but to me, the biggest problem with the Job Success score is that, since how it's worked out is a secret, there's no way for anyone - whether client or freelancer - to know what it actually means.

I've only been on here a few months, so until today, I've had no job success score at all. Today, I have one of 87%. I have absolutely no idea why it appeared today, nor why it's 87%, nor whether I should think of that as good or bad.

I've certainly no idea how to make it go up, nor any clear sense of what will make it go down.

I'm basically going to ignore it, I think.

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
27 of 51

Hi John,

I took a look at your profile - it says you have worked 11 jobs yet you only have feedback for 7 jobs.

So whatever happened with the ones where you - for some reason or other - didn't receive public feedback (but maybe private feedback) will be the reason for your JS score.

They updated JS scores today so maybe that's why you got yours today.

Ela

weerap
Ace Contributor
Weera P Member Since: Sep 11, 2013
28 of 51

Hi,

Incidently, does anyone know how many percentage points a refund costs?

Before the JS was release, I got 1 dispute that was why my JS was 75% and Clients who would recommend you 82%

After that 3 contracts have been closed as successful and 1 refund. For now my JS is 71% and Clients who would recommend you 75%

Thanks,

WP

battershall-ramo
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
29 of 51

Ok. clearly refunds are impossible now.

Thank you

whogg72
Community Guru
William H Member Since: Dec 2, 2013
30 of 51

Hi Ela,

Funny you mention JS updates. I have noted that they are random and never qually spaced out, as I once assumed they were. First I thought they were Mondays, after end of work week, then every 5 days, now I have no idea! 😉

Cheers,

William

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS