🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » A few ideas to help the freelancers...
Page options
0c0a860b
Community Member

A few ideas to help the freelancers...

Here are a few ideas to help the freelancers get more work and avoid wasting connects: 

1. Allow a proposal cover letter to be modified, especially if it has not been viewed by the client yet.
  2. Allow additional work samples to be added to a proposal. To have a chance at being considered, it is necessary to write a cover letter and submit a proposal very quickly. Adding files later for the client to see could increase the chances of getting the job. 
  3. I submitted a proposal with 12 connects only to see afterward that the client had already hired someone for the job. Why can't you warn the freelancer that someone has already been hired and allow the proposal to be cancelled? The freelancer should have the option to cancel or continue with the proposal in case the client changes his mind or needs additional workers.  
9 REPLIES 9
a7c6f370
Community Member

I like the 3rd point. Upwork should notify if the client has already hired someone when a freelancer is submitting a proposal.

Why can't you just look?

I mean between writing a proposal if the client hires someone already.

the-right-writer
Community Member

1. No modification. Everyone should learn how to submit a proposal. Do you think the client will give you multiple chances to get the job right?

2. No. Again, learn how to write a proposal, samples included. It is not necessary to throw something together just to have a proposal submitted. If it's poor, irrelevant, or not specific to the job, it could well go to the "other" pile. The proper way is to submit a complete proposal. If that takes some time, then it is time well spent. It is certainly not necessary to quickly submit a proposal. Have your files ready for jobs before you look for work. Part of freelancing is knowing how to write a proposal, and no one in self-employment as a freelancer should continue to receive chance after chance to get it right.

Wanting second chances reminds me of kids in a class I subbed for recently. Adults in self-employment or any business get one chance at the job, not multiple times, until they get their act together.

3. All you have to do is look. Why can't you simply look to see if the client has hired, instead of expecting the platform to do it for you? It's your job to perform vetting of the job and client. How much could you have read of the job description if you can't see if they hired? No, it should not be pulled after hiring. Perhaps the client wants to hire more people for the same job. Maybe they wish to see if the person they hired will work out. Instead of denying others the ability to make money (why do freelancers continue to do this?) simply look before you apply.

The freelancer should have the option to cancel or continue with the proposal in case the client changes his mind or needs additional workers.

Here we go again. You don't get your proposal or connects back, period. In the real world, you sure as heck don't get money or your proposal back if someone doesn't hire you, so why would you here? You send in the proposal and forget it. You don't get connects returned, unless it's a scam, or the client closes the contract. That's the way freelancing works.

Loved the way you are solving all the 3 issues in such a bullet point and to be straight forward as well. Thank you so much for lovely reply.

2779bde0
Community Member

Proposals are like pre-interviews. Your proposal needs to be better preseneted than anyone else's.

There are tools in place here to help you be your best. Take advantage of them.

Jeanne is correct. Bidding on jobs isn't like pulling a handle on a slot machine. You determine on how well that proposal goes. All businesses have risks associated with them. Keep in mind also that clients may be posting the same jobs on other platforms.

This is why making the best proposals and profile you can possibly make will increase your chances dramatiaclly of securing work.

Upwork has two main concerns, making the clients happy, and making a profit. Neither of those are for the benefit of the freelancers.  The ones who step up their game here are the ones who are rewarded.

I'm curious about where you got the impression that Upwork cares about making clients happy. It hasn't been my experience, and if you read the client forum you'll see a lot of complaints very similar to the ones you see here. Enterprise clients, maybe, but regular ones seem to be just as disposable as freelancers. 

Exactly, Martin very well written as well.

I agree, except about the part where Upwork cares about clients. From their actions, I see no evidence this is true. They do care about money, yes, which is normal for any business.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members