ekolis

A few questions about rejected proposals: proposals never formally rejected, and client feedback

I have a few questions about rejected proposals:

First, why is it that only a few of my proposals are actually returned to me as rejected? Why aren't all unaccepted proposals automatically marked as rejected once a client accepts a proposal so I know that mine didn't go through?

Also, it would be very nice if clients could optionally fill out a text field or at least some check boxes explaining why they're rejecting a proposal when they actually do so - non-matching skills, charging too much, wrong location, that sort of thing. It would be very helpful for freelancers so they could refine their proposals for future clients. I know not all clients would want to take the time to do this, but if only a few did, it would still be helpful.

Oh, also related to the feedback issue, it would be nice if clients could make refinements or counter-proposals. For instance, if a client really likes a particular freelancer's offer, but thinks he's charging a bit much, it would be helpful if he could propose a reduction in the amount charged.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
petra_r

@Edward K wrote:

Also, it would be very nice if clients could optionally fill out a text field or at least some check boxes explaining why they're rejecting a proposal when they actually do so - non-matching skills, charging too much, wrong location, that sort of thing. It would be very helpful for freelancers so they could refine their proposals for future clients. I know not all clients would want to take the time to do this, but if only a few did, it would still be helpful.

Oh, also related to the feedback issue, it would be nice if clients could make refinements or counter-proposals. For instance, if a client really likes a particular freelancer's offer, but thinks he's charging a bit much, it would be helpful if he could propose a reduction in the amount charged.

All that is already possible, but as you said, not many clients go through the often loooong list of applicants and bother to open each proposal and reject each one individually.

The client may have 5 open jobs with 20 to 50 applicants each, it would take forever.

The majority of proposals is never opened, let alone read, let alone responded to.

If you fail to grab the client's attention in the first line of your proposal (which is all they see in the preview list) you've thrown away your chance more often than not.

OK, thanks! I figured clients wouldn't take the time to formally reject every proposal, but I was hoping it might be done automatically if one is accepted. I didn't realize there was already a mechanism in place for feedback on rejected proposals, because I've never actually received any apart from messages to explain details of the project that weren't already posted and that sort of thing.

Do you happen to have a link to a guide for writing catchy proposals?

Thanks for the link to the "submitting a winning proposal" article! It looks like I was covering most of the bases already; I just need to focus a bit more on my unique problem-solving approach for the project, and also on sharing interview availability. I assume interviews are primarily done over the phone? Perhaps I should limit myself to clients within the US, as I'd rather not invest in an international calling plan just for such eventualities!

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Edward,

Interviews are not primarily done over the phone and I would venture to say that a phone interview is the least likely option when it comes to jobs on Upwork. Some clients do request a phone interview but more commonly clients use Upwork Messages or Skype to chat, have a voice or, occasionally, a video call with a freelancer.

Untitled
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Pandora H wrote:

Proposal Guides

1. Submitting a Winning Proposal On Upwork (webpage)

2. Power Proposal Tips from a Six-Figure Upworker (Webinar video)

Hi Edward,

In addition to the two resources Pandora shared, please check our Proposal Workshop Video and following articles: here and here.

Enjoy and let us know if you found these resources useful.

Untitled

Thank you so much for these resources! It was just what I needed to finally learn some skills which are truly valuable. I just need to take some photos of myself, and then choose one to publish as a profile picture, to replace the "weak" one I currently have.