cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few suggestions for the platform.

prototype2908
Richard James P Member Since: Jun 25, 2015
1 of 5
Firstly, should there be a limit on the number of freelancers a client can interview, or at least at the same time. When I find a job and the client is interviewing 10+ people, I often don't bother, because I know the client is probably wasting a lot of people's time. They should be made to pick the best 3 for each project. If they really can't settle on any of those 3, then there should be a decline message to notify the freelancer that they're not right for the position. Then they can invite others to interview. This will make clients pick more carefully, and not waste so many people's time by asking for free work. If anyone has ideas on how this could be better implemented then I'm all ears.

Additionally, being able to attach items from your portfolio on a proposal (like Elance) would be great.

Ideas for tackling price depreciation? I think there's someone out there (potentially admin) placing high bids to up the rates. This helps put off the low pricers from bidding by raising the average rate. However, there's still a lot of people expecting quality work for < $5 p/h. A reasonable minimum wage would be upwards of $10 p/h. That's still pretty low, but it's much better than the slave labour available at the moment. I'm not sure a minimum wage could be effectively enforced, but perhaps low balling could be better deterred?

I don't know if there's already a thread for suggestions, but if Upwork is going to be a success then it needs a constructive input from everyone; so let's hear what you have to say!
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 5

I'm not on-board with any ideas to force people to choose. If some poor dude posts his first gig ever, he's a serious buyer but gets 10 junk bids, there should be nothing forcing him to choose from junk. I believe it's perfectly within their right to choose no one.

Next, I totally get bidding low when you're desperate or have 0 experience. I can't really hate on those people. However, I have had good success at bidding high, if anything to get the buyer to read my proposal. I said this in another thread, but I think buyers read my proposals just to LOL at me or say "haha who is this loser bidding wayyy over everyone else?" But, I get my proposal read, which is the first battle.

If the customer is just looking for the cheapest price and doesn't care, I"ll never hear from him. If they want quality and someone with experience, and they like my bid, I'll at least get a response to negotiate. I've gotten a lot of varied responses, but it's usually "Hey Jennifer, I like your proposal but  you're kinda over my budget." At this point, I explain my high bid and tell them that they are buying into someone with hands-on, real-world experience. I think at this point, a lot of freelancers panic and throw a lowball bid. This shows that you're weak and not serious. Fail. Let the buyer throw a price at you, and then you can see where his head is at. 

I also think that by replying at all to me, I'm not completely out of their budget. So, they will go lower, I'll ask them to come up a bit, and then everyone is happy. Of course, it doesn't always work like that. Can't win them all! Sometimes, they throw me something that I'm OK with, so I don't even really need to negotiate.

Bidding high gets people's attention. Freelancers think they should be scared of bidding high, so they start the lowballing. Some, I think, try to go "average" with their bid. The result is that their bids are burried with 40 other average people. While mine is at least read because when filtering by cost, I'm at the top.

So, to all those lowballers, I say "haha."

sami1983
Sami A Member Since: Jun 30, 2015
3 of 5

I agree with James, limiting the number of interviews the client can initiate is a good idea. I've had many potential clients waste my time, even taking me to Skype and writing me daily trying to get free technical advice, and then when I tell them I am not their consultant and they should contact me when they have a real job, they get angry and disappear. Then there're the low price workers, as James said. Seems you can earn 15 times more flipping burgers than being a computer science graduate, engineer or programmer, here's a good example: **edited for Community Guidelines**

Averge rate is $1 an hour! Minimum wage for flipping burgers is 15 times more. With all respect to competition I am affraid this is damaging the industry and if left unregulated can cause the industry to depreciate further. I would agree there has to be a minimum rate higher than $1, pehaps $10/h would be helpful.

Edit:

Seems I can't post links, but for statistical record, the client with an average of $1/hour I referred to had paid for more than 4,700 hours over more than 300 jobs.

fergusm1970
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
4 of 5

And I agree with Jennifer. Let clients interview as many freelancers as they like. I'm totally against any development that takes control of how I run my business out of my hands. If your proposals aren't getting noticed, improve them; don't look for ways to force clients to hire you.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
sami1983
Sami A Member Since: Jun 30, 2015
BEST ANSWER
5 of 5

It's not about "taking business out of your hands", it's about:

1- helping the client decide

2- preveting the client from abusing the system

3- guarding the contractors from timewasters

So, the interview/hiring process should be made to resemble a real life scenario where the client doesn't have the time to interview 20 people, so there should be regulations in place that enforce the client to choose more carefully whom they'd like to talk to, just like how the contractor has a limited number of Connects to use, which makes them choose more carefully which job to apply to.

View solution in original post

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS