Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A fraudulent person is active on Upwork

meshackeres
Sreya S Member Since: Nov 10, 2017
1 of 22

Hi,

There is this client named **edited for Community Guidelines** (Fake Name) here in Upwork. He made me work off Upwork through Skype. I had scarcity of projects and the money was good so I agreed. I kept asking for daily payment since I had my doubts. For 3 days he/she made me work on bulk content and then on the payment day just blocked me.

I know I made the mistake of working off Upwork, but I just want to bring it to your notice. Please verify client profiles and please get this person's profile removed from here to save other writers from this experience

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
2 of 22

Hi Sreya, 

Please know that agreeing to work off the platform is a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service. The team will follow up with you and your client for more information. 

~ Avery
Upwork
meshackeres
3 of 22

I realize that. 

I asked him to continue through Upwork itself but he refused. I have all the proof. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 22

@Sreya S wrote:

I realize that. 

I asked him to continue through Upwork itself but he refused. I have all the proof. 

Then you also have "all the proof" that you yourself broke the terms of service agreeing to be paid outside the platform and may well get your account suspended for that.

You decided to cheat Upwork out of its fee and it went wrong when the person you were trying to cheat Upwork with cheated you...

It's always entertaining when people who tried to cheat then run to the company they themselves tried to cheat for help...

bobafett999
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
5 of 22

@Petra R wrote:

You decided to cheat Upwork out of its fee and it went wrong when the person you were trying to cheat Upwork with cheated you...

It's always entertaining when people who tried to cheat then run to the company they themselves tried to cheat for help...

Sreya:  Remember that karma always has weird ways of behaving.  Also remember that Short term Gain=Long Term Pain.

I don't know how Upwork will act, but if things don't work out just remember that even before you began you shut off the pipeline that could have made you some money.  You do have nice resume and you would have made money.

meshackeres
6 of 22

Prashant,

I wish I could show you the conversations.

I had no intention or motive to deprive Upwork of it's share.

In fact I would feel much more secure working through Upwork.

As I said, since the offer was good and the client rigidly said that If I have to work I have to work I have to work on his terms or else he would look for someone else, I did not want to lose the project. 

This being my first ever project through Upwork I was not that experienced either.

I hope you and everyone else will be able to understand this. 

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
7 of 22

@Sreya S wrote:

...As I said, since the offer was good and the client rigidly said that If I have to work I have to work I have to work on his terms or else he would look for someone else, I did not want to lose the project. 

So for not wanting to lose the project, you risked all future projects on Upwork. Not a good calculation.

Whether on Upwork or elsewhere, one’s business cannot succeed with an atttude of dependence on and subservience to every prospective client. We are independent professionals, not employees and not doormats.

meshackeres
8 of 22

Hi Petra,

Kindly re-read my post. 

I said I realize I made that mistake. I am new to Upwork and I needed a project so I just agreed to his proposal. 

Secondly, I am not asking for any help, since it was my fault. My post was intended just to alert the team about this profile so that nobody else has go through this in future.

Thanks.

firescue17
Community Guru
Steven E. L Member Since: May 5, 2015
9 of 22

@Sreya S wrote:

A fraudulent person is active on Upwork ...

Just one?! That's fantastic progress! 

meshackeres
10 of 22

I wish I could say yes, but I'm sure there's a whole bunch of them. I'm doing my bit to report the one I came across. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS