Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

A fraudulent person is active on Upwork

reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
11 of 22

@Sreya S wrote:

I wish I could say yes, but I'm sure there's a whole bunch of them. I'm doing my bit to report the one I came across. 


 ...yes, and many freelancers are part of that bunch. Nonetheless, since you admitted your part in the affair, perhaps Upwork will let you off with just a slap on the wrist. 

meshackeres
Active Member
Sreya S Member Since: Nov 10, 2017
12 of 22

Yes I admit and I learnt my lesson.

 

It was my first client through Upwork so I made an honest mistake, and the sole intention of posting this was to alert new freelancers like me. 

emiguelina
Community Guru
Elba A Member Since: Feb 28, 2017
13 of 22

@Sreya S wrote:

Yes I admit and I learnt my lesson.

 

It was my first client through Upwork so I made an honest mistake, and the sole intention of posting this was to alert new freelancers like me. 


Despite your good intentions, I get it, it's not going to work, like many others new freelancers that have fallen for it, they only read how to use the site and come to the forums after they were scammed, not before.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 22

I appreciate Sreya's willingness to report what happened to her, and be honest about it.

 

She is new. She learned her lesson. I don't think she should be punished by Upwork, and I don't think she will be.

 

Unfortunately, as long as Upwork freelancers newbies continue to participate in these scams, fake clients will continue to perpetuate them.

charles_kozierok
Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
15 of 22

@Preston H wrote:

I appreciate Sreya's willingness to report what happened to her, and be honest about it.

 

She is new. She learned her lesson. I don't think she should be punished by Upwork, and I don't think she will be.

 

Unfortunately, as long as Upwork freelancers newbies continue to participate in these scams, fake clients will continue to perpetuate them.


Thank you for being a voice of reason around here, as usual.

 

I don't think newbie freelancers like Sreya get up in the morning, twist their Snidely Whiplash moustaches, and set off to find ways to rip off Upwork. They end up in these sorts of situations through a combination of ignorance of the rules, lack of experience dealing with scammers, and a great desire to get a project under their belts. The fear of losing a client, especially if they have had little success to that point, leads to a dangerous "want to believe" situation that scammers rely on -- and they do a good job of convincing freelancers who express doubts that what they are asking for is legitimate. I've seen it myself.

 

Absolutely nothing is served by dogpiling someone who has already come here and admitted her mistake, especially after an Upwork mod has already replied.

 

This place could use a whole lot more compassion, patient guidance and acceptance and a whole lot less judging and Shadenfreude.

meshackeres
Active Member
Sreya S Member Since: Nov 10, 2017
16 of 22

Thank you for your support Preston and Charles.

 

Thank you for putting forth my situation better than I could. Whatever you said means alot since I have been feeling terrible. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
17 of 22

@Charles K wrote:

This place could use a whole lot more compassion, patient guidance and acceptance and a whole lot less judging and Shadenfreude.


 It is not Schadenfreude, Charles, it's despair.

 

I do think I do my bit of the "patient guidance stuff" over and over, but yes, I do suffer a bit of a sense of humour failure when it comes to things which can directly affect my income.

 

I've paid multiple tens of thousands of Dollars in fees and I do not take too kindly to (partly) paying those fees for others who try to avoid this and, by their actions, directly attract scammers we then all have to deal with, and affect the reputation of the platform.

 

charles_kozierok
Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
18 of 22

"Despair?" Please.

 

Call it whatever you want -- it's utterly unproductive, and more likely counterproductive.

 

The people who are trying to "affect your income" deliberately are not going to come here and post about it. Lashing out at some newbie who got scammed but was honest enough to come here and admit it is completely pointless. And worse, it just contributes to the insular nature of this place and the rather low participation as a percentage of the freelancer base, which decreases the chances of others learning before they get scammed.

 

As for the "reputation of the platform," there's an old expression in UI design, that I don't remember exactly but goes something like this: "When a handful of people use an interface incorrectly, the problem is the people. When thousands of people use an interface incorrectly, the problem is the interface."

 

Upwork has a persistent, ongoing problem with scammers, people being drawn offline with bogus offers, and newbies getting scammed or succumbing to the temptation to disintermediate. This is an indication of a problem with the system -- a problem that could be largely fixed with the right investments, which Upwork does not make for whatever its reasons.

 

If you want to blame the victim, go ahead. But it is both mean and futile -- when there are this many victims, there's a much larger issue.

reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
19 of 22

@Charles K wrote:

"Despair?" Please.

 

Call it whatever you want -- it's utterly unproductive, and more likely counterproductive.

 

The people who are trying to "affect your income" deliberately are not going to come here and post about it. Lashing out at some newbie who got scammed but was honest enough to come here and admit it is completely pointless. And worse, it just contributes to the insular nature of this place and the rather low participation as a percentage of the freelancer base, which decreases the chances of others learning before they get scammed.

 

As for the "reputation of the platform," there's an old expression in UI design, that I don't remember exactly but goes something like this: "When a handful of people use an interface incorrectly, the problem is the people. When thousands of people use an interface incorrectly, the problem is the interface."

 

Upwork has a persistent, ongoing problem with scammers, people being drawn offline with bogus offers, and newbies getting scammed or succumbing to the temptation to disintermediate. This is an indication of a problem with the system -- a problem that could be largely fixed with the right investments, which Upwork does not make for whatever its reasons.

 

If you want to blame the victim, go ahead. But it is both mean and futile -- when there are this many victims, there's a much larger issue.


 The larger issue in my opinion, is the fact that so many newbies couldn't be bothered to to read the ToS, and then complain when they become "victims". 

 

True, we all make mistakes, but nobody buys a new car or an appliance and then use it without reading the manual first. Upwork's ToS is a manual on how to avoid mistakes (like getting scammed), so if more newbies would go to the trouble of reading it before diving in head first, we would have far fewer instances of "victims" wanting to instruct other newbies on how not to become a "victim" of scams.   

emiguelina
Community Guru
Elba A Member Since: Feb 28, 2017
20 of 22

@Reinier B wrote:

True, we all make mistakes, but nobody buys a new car or an appliance and then use it without reading the manual first. Upwork's ToS is a manual on how to avoid mistakes (like getting scammed), so if more newbies would go to the trouble of reading it before diving in head first, we would have far fewer instances of "victims" wanting to instruct other newbies on how not to become a "victim" of scams.   


So bottom line:

1.- Newbies dive in before they learn how to use the site properly: Help pages, Community Forum, etc.

2.- Newbies get scammed

3.- After they get scammed they come to the community to "warn" about scammers (which is futile BTW)

The fact itself that they come to the Community after they got scammed, perpetuate the cycle, so again the cycle continues... When will stop?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS