🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » A friendly conversation with client
Page options
hassanwaqar71
Community Member

A friendly conversation with client

Can we have a friendly conversation with clients ? I met this super friendly client who had the same disease I have, and we two had a very friendly conversation. She offered me writing two blogs-- even set up the contract, but out of respect I denied.
Thanks,
Regards
Hassan Waqar.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Okay, that sums it up really. I'll do that.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
lysis10
Community Member

If you declined the job, I doubt she wants to chit chat with you. You should leave her alone.

I doubt you answered my question, I did not decline her proposal I simply did not accept it-- which is different from declining one.

I asked a simple question; I hope to receive a simpler answer.

Regards,
Hassan W.

Hassan W wrote:
I doubt you answered my question, I did not decline her proposal I simply did not accept it-- which is different from declining one.

I asked a simple question; I hope to receive a simpler answer.

Regards,
Hassan W.

Well you said you denied, so idk what that means then. If you denied writing for her, then I still say the same thing. If you don't want to work with her, leave her alone then.

I simply worked for free, out of respect.
Is that wrong ?
P.s. I'm top rated and currently have underlying projects( if that helps)

Hassan W wrote:
I simply worked for free, out of respect.
Is that wrong ?
P.s. I'm top rated and currently have underlying projects( if that helps)

If she wants to have friendly chats, let her start the conversation and initiate it. Most female clients on here are here to get something done and that's it.

re: "I simply worked for free, out of respect. Is that wrong?"

It is wrong to work for free on Upwork. That is not the purpose of this site.

If yiu want to work for free, then develop your portfolio with yourself as a client.

If you want to do volunteer work, then do so at your local church, mosque, youth group, civic center, etc.

Okay, that sums it up really. I'll do that.

Hey, I've got this unusual situation.
For the first time in my life, I've come across a fellow psoriasis-ian who I had a great conversation with; she needed a couple of blogs and was ready to pay for them but I insisted to work for free-- out of respect. the articles were psoriases related.
Although, I've asked for a bonus of 5dollars just so upwork dosent mind, but still I'd like to know if these empathy measures wont have a negative impact.

Well it would in normal cases, though this was an exception.

She posted a job regarding psoriasis blogs to which I sent a proposal
highlighting my experience of having it for several years.

She sent a message a few minutes later explaining how for many years she
had psoriasis, and that she needed blogs relating to it.

We had a little conversation, I told her how I dealt with it, how my
religion helped me seeing it differently and how It aided me. I also
underlined some meds, and quotes for her that I used myself.

Regarding the blogs, I insisted to write them for free; I could not see
myself writing for someone having something so similar for decades, and
still be adamant for 10 bucks.

It's against Upwork's terms of service to exchange contact information with a client prior to having a contract in place, and since you were never formally hired, this is still the situation that you're in (pre-contract). If she does want to formally hire you and pay you a token amount, then you're free to exchange your contact details, but I would be extremely careful about getting too personal. I'm friendly with a few of my long-term clients and we do occasionally get in contact just to chat, but those are relationships that developed over a long period of time. If I were to finish a project for a new client and they said, "Hey, why don't i call you up for a chat sometime," I would find that off-putting.
martina_plaschka
Community Member

This is the kind of situation where you goal is to do something good, but then it isn't. Working for free is bad for everyone. It is bad for you because you don't earn money, it is bad for other freelancers because clients are taught that they get things for free. 

You need to take a professional approach: you provide an excellent service, and you deserve to paid fairly for it. 

Realized that, I accepted the offer.
P.s I never invited (nor intend to) the client.
Hopefully it dosent cross any of upwork guidelines

Hassan W wrote:
Realized that, I accepted the offer.
P.s I never invited (nor intend to) the client.
Hopefully it dosent cross any of upwork guidelines

No I don't think you did anything wrong. After hire you can communicate with the client any way you like. 

Thank you for the kind response, obliged.
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members