🐈 Community
thevalerka

A new(?) type of scam

In many years of freelancing I've seen many type of scams, but this is new and creative in my opinion, or more probably I was lucky enough when I was unexperienced. 

I will call this scam "My friend's business is in need, he needs a 50k$ piece of software for his small(?) company and I will realize it for him(me) paing peanuts". 

I've just received the proposal, at the beginning nothing is told you except "I need an experience developer like you blablabla, it's an EASY job for a friend of mine who is in need with his SMALL business and I want to discuss the details of this project privately". The proposal is sent to 100 developers, at least 30-40 will respond. When you reply, whatever you reply, a list of  dozens and dozens of task is sent to you. The timeline of course is strict.

The budget is 500$-650$. The language used is always confidential.

Each task is described as EASY and quick, but each will bring an enourmous amount of requirements.

Of course there is already a quasi-working prototype, something copied from elsewhere or something developed by the previously scammed developer. The project I've received is about a complete transportation-courier system with management of vehicles, drivers, customers , with task dedicated to routes, payments, reports and so on, any kind of skill is required: programming, web-design, db-management, prototyping and project managemnt, front-end and backend development of course. 

Of course no developer would be able to develop all the task, but in the scammer's mind each developer is only a single step towards the final goal. The logic of the scam is:

• I've got a 50K$ piece of software to develop
  • I want to realize it with 10$K
  • I will hire 20 developers or less and I will exploit each one of them
  • each subsequent step is easier because I will be able to show a more complete prototype (a piece of crap developed by 20 different hands...)

In the scammer history I can see similar projects with a 500-650$ budget (the single steps), the complete project is always the same-one.  

In these case the scam was easy to detect but someone desperate or not will tumble onto this. 

It can be done in more sophisticated ways, like having multiple accounts, requiring less tasks for each step or giving you a larger amount of time to develop, so WATCH OUT.  

Valerio

3 REPLIES 3
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Valerio,

Thanks for the heads-up. In order to investigate further, please report this job and add as much relevant information about the invite you received, as this will help us in the review process.

Untitled

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Valerio,

Thanks for the heads-up. In order to investigate further, please report this job and add as much relevant information about the invite you received, as this will help us in the review process.

Hey, Vladimir, for just this week I've been flagging all sorts of spam/scam posting like this one.  As per usual, Upwork doesn't really seem to "investigate" them at all, because I see the same clients I've flagged again and again, and the same patterns (e.g., 20 posts with 0% hired) over and over.  Please let us know when Upwork actually acts to remove the enormous number of poor quality clients from your site (at least 50% need to go, by my measure).  If this is done before the end of the year, I may not have to leave Upwork.  Thanks!

Thank you, I´ll keep my eyes open.

Zrrt!!